- From more than 220 applicants, 16 secondary schools across Canada have been awarded cash grants of up to $10,000 each
- Recipients will use grants to enhance or integrate technology used in various courses, programs or extracurricular activities
Burnaby, BC, 2017-Feb-28 — /EPR Retail News/ — Best Buy Canada is proud to announce the 16 secondary schools, selected from more than 220 applicants, to receive funding of up to $10,000 each for tech-based curriculums through the Best Buy School Tech Grant program. The recipient schools will use these grants to give students access to the latest in technology to help keep students motivated and inspired as they move towards post-secondary education.
“Exposure to technology has become essential for today’s youth but there is still a huge need for upgraded or increased technology in classrooms.” said Karen Arsenault, Community Relations Manager, Best Buy Canada. “In reviewing the applications, it was inspiring to see the passion of the teachers and principals who illustrated how much this technology will impact their students by providing diverse and innovative learning opportunities and, in some cases, simply leveling the playing field.”
The 16 schools receiving a Best Buy School Tech Grant are:
- Frank Hurt Secondary – Surrey, BC
- Braided Journeys Program, Edmonton Catholic School District – Edmonton, AB
- École Secondaire Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School – Red Deer, AB
- Kyle Composite School – Kyle, SK
- Elmwood High School – Winnipeg, MB
- Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School – St. Catharines, ON
- Ridgemont High School – Ottawa, ON
- The Dr. G.W. Williams Secondary School – Aurora, ON
- Vezina Secondary School – Attawapiskat, ON
- Ecole secondaire Gérard-Filion – Longueuil, QC
- St. Malachy’s Memorial High School – Saint John, NB
- Burnaby South Secondary School – Burnaby, BC
- Alpha II Alternative School – Toronto, ON
- Ridgetown District High School – Ridgetown, ON
- Ecole Marguerite-De Lajemmerais – Montréal, QC
- Richmond Regional High School – Richmond, QC
General Tech Grants are designed to help improve or integrate technology in classrooms to advance student learning. This could include new technologies including libraries, special needs classrooms, literacy programs and more. STEM Tech Grants are for schools looking to enhance technology in programs pertaining to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, which includes robotics clubs, math programs, computer coding and digital media courses.
All 16 schools will receive their funding in the coming weeks and celebrations will happen at the School Tech Grant recipient schools with the support of local Best Buy teams.
Best Buy Canada focuses its community investment on connecting youth with technology to inspire, motivate and empower their education. Through this mission, Best Buy has provided more than 140 Canadian schools with grants to purchase the technology, in addition to offering post-secondary scholarships and supporting youth with hands on tech learning opportunities.
In the coming months, Best Buy School Tech Grants will offer elementary schools with the opportunity to apply for funding for new technology. Educators interested in being notified when grants are next available can email email@example.com.
For more information about Best Buy’s community investments, visit www.BestBuy.ca/Community.
About Best Buy
As a wholly owned subsidiary of Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY), Best Buy Canada Ltd. is one of Canada’s largest and most successful omni-channel retailers, operating the Best Buy, Best Buy Mobile and Geek Squad (www.geeksquad.ca) brands. With nearly 200 Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile stores across Canada, and an expanded assortment of lifestyle products offered through BestBuy.ca, Best Buy is a leader in Total Retail, catering to customers how, when, and where they want to shop. Best Buy Canada is committed to making a positive impact in the community with programs and partnerships that support youth to connect with technology to advance their education. For more information visit BestBuy.ca.
E : firstname.lastname@example.org
T : 604.809.3416
Source: Best Buy
8,159 total views, 1 views today