New Collection Marries Multifunction, Flexibility and Smart Design with Affordability
The collection was inspired by homes – and homeowners – that are in constant motion. According to a global survey* commissioned by IKEA, nearly 60 percent of American city dwellers, aged 18-29, desire to move within the next two years.
“The IKEA PS 2014 collection focuses on the young urban residents that have ever-fluctuating living situations, whether it’s where they live or with whom they share a space,” said Janice Simonsen, Design Spokesperson, IKEA U.S. “This line brings flexibility to everyone by combining form, function, quality, sustainability and an accessible price point.”
IKEA worked with young-minded designers from all over the world to bring the beautiful and functional collection to life. Some examples of how the creators of the IKEA PS 2014 collection used smart design to create smart solutions include:
- Corner cabinets that take advantage of the space in every corner of your home – literally!
- A side table with built-in lighting and magazine racks.
- A standing wall shelf with knobs perfect for holding jewelry, bags and more.
- A pendant lamp whose light can be adjusted to fit any mood or task.
- A wardrobe whose external design can be personalized to fit your style.
“At IKEA, our consumer is the inspiration behind our designs. Globally, we found that young people are looking to use every inch of their home effectively,” says Peter Klinkert, Head of Special Collections for IKEA of Sweden. “With IKEA PS 2014, we worked to create pieces that keep multifunction and small space living at the core.”
IKEA PS (meaning Post Scriptum) is the design statement of IKEA, first launched in 1995, which puts focus on cutting edge modern Scandinavian furniture design without losing sight of what makes IKEA unique – affordable, quality design for the many people. IKEA launches a new IKEA PS line approximately every three years.
The IKEA PS 2014 collection will be available starting in April at IKEA stores nationwide. For press images and additional information, visit http://www.ikea.com/us/en/pressroom/index.html. Consumers can visit http://www.pinterest.com/IKEAUSA/ikea-ps-2014/ to browse the collection.
Fans can also connect with IKEA via:
- www.theshare-space.com (IKEA “Share Space” website)
- www.theshare-space.com/Blog (“Design by IKEA” blog)
- www.facebook.com/ikeausa (IKEA Facebook page)
- www.twitter.com/DesignByIKEA (IKEA Twitter handle)
- www.pinterest.com/IKEAUSA (IKEA Pinterest page)
* The survey was conducted by the YouGov analysis institute. During the period 9-27 January 2014, a total of 7648 CAWI interviews were conducted with men and women aged 18- 60 living in metropolitan areas in the following countries: Sweden, UK, France, USA, Poland, Japan, China and Qatar.
About IKEA: The Life Improvement Store
IKEA strives to be ‘The Life Improvement Store,’ and since its 1943 founding in Sweden, has offered home furnishings of good design and function, at low prices so the majority of people can afford them. There are currently more than 350 IKEA stores in 44 countries, including 38 in the U.S. IKEA, the world’s leading home furnishings company, incorporates sustainable efforts into day-to-day business and supports initiatives that benefit children and the environment.