BURBERRY CELEBRATES ITS LATEST STORE IN TOKYO WITH A NEW IN-STORE EXPERIENCE SHOWCASING THE BRAND’S BRITISH HERITAGE AND CRAFTSMANSHIP
TOKYO, 2015-10-15 — /EPR Retail News/ — Tonight (14.10.2015), Burberry celebrated the opening of its new store in the heart of Tokyo with an event hosted by Burberry Chief Creative and Chief Executive Officer Christopher Bailey, which celebrated the best of British heritage, craftsmanship and music.
The event also launched “Personalised for You” – a new in-store experience which presents the brand’s most iconic designs and showcases the expert craftsmanship behind them, placing luxury personalisation at the heart of the experience.
Tonight’s event was attended by over 500 guests including local influencers Ryoko Yonekura, Mika Nakashima, Matsuya Onoe, Yuka Mizuhara, Sayo Yoshida, Rihito, Mademoiselle Yulia, Emi Suzuki, Hana Matsushima, Sputniko!, Ryohei Yamada, Anne Nakamura, Maekawa Hiroki, Mouri Suzuki, all of whom wore Burberry, as well as The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.
British singer-songwriter Clare Maguire performed four tracks live at the event: ‘Elizabeth Taylor’, ‘Changing Faces’, ‘Leave You In Yesterday’ and ‘Shadows’. Tonight also marked Clare’s first ever performance in Japan.
Christopher Bailey said:
“Our Shinjuku store is a wonderful space that allows us to showcase the full range of Burberry products including our British made trench coats and scarves in a landmark Tokyo location. It is also great to have the opportunity to highlight the incredible craftsmanship that goes into making these products through the live demonstrations taking place in-store with our teams from the UK.”
“Burberry in Tokyo: Personalised For You”
Guests at the inaugural event were invited to discover the intricate craftsmanship behind the brand’s iconic designs live at different stations throughout the store. Personalisation services were also made available at each of the stations, all of which will be extended to customers in-store for up to one week.
Personalisation experiences at Burberry Shinjuku include:
The Heritage Trench Coat – skilled craftswomen from Castleford in Yorkshire, the home of the Burberry Heritage trench coat, demonstrated the most detailed parts of the construction of the iconic design by hand, offering guests the option to monogram their own with two letters in hand-applied goldwork cording.
The Scarf Bar – guests were invited to monogram their made-in-Scotland Burberry scarves, available in a selection of colours and prints from the recently launched Scarf Bar.
Signature Bags – exclusive to the new experience, guests could watch a live demonstration of Burberry bag handles being hand painted by Burberry craftsmen from Italy. Initials could also be hand-painted on two designs: The Banner Bag and The Bucket Bag.
My Burberry – monogramming of the brand’s latest fragrance for women, My Burberry Eau de Parfum, with up to three initials was available in store.
The Gift Collection – products from the brand’s Regent Street gifting collection were available for immediate personalisation, with debossing carried out by monogramming experts from Burberry’s global flagship in London.
Gift Packaging – Wrapping of all Burberry gifts was available on the evening, using the brand’s iconic honey coloured packaging and a wide selection of exclusive ribbons and gift cards handwritten by a calligrapher in store.
Celebrating the Burberry Shinjuku Store
The Burberry Shinjuku store opened in September 2015, and houses the largest Burberry product assortment in Japan, including the brand’s collection of iconic British-made heritage trench coats and scarves. Located over four floors in the heart of Tokyo, the store features a 3.3m x 5.8m LED screen wall on the façade of the building, showcasing brand content.
Burberry has a long-term commitment to Japan where it currently has six standalone stores (Ginza, Kobe, Omotesando, Osaka, Roppongi and Shinjuku).
Notes to editors
Burberry In Tokyo: Personalised For You – The Experiences at Burberry Shinjuku
- The Heritage Trench Coat
- The Burberry Heritage Trench Coat is made in Yorkshire, England, from weatherproof gabardine in signature fits and colours
- Skilled craftswomen from Castleford, the home of the trench coat, carefully finished the design, hand-placing over 180 stitches on the collar for a fluid curve and perfect symmetry, exemplifying attention to detail.
- Burberry Heritage trench coats can be personalised on the inside with two letters in hand-applied goldwork cording in store until 15 October 2015.
- The Scarf Bar
- Available as part of the Burberry Scarf Bar, classic cashmere scarves are made in Scotland from fine cashmere which is carefully woven on traditional looms, washed in fresh local water and finished by skilled craftsmen using expert methods, passed down through generations.
- In a selection of colours, prints and the check design, scarves can be monogrammed with up to three initials, in two font sizes and in a choice of thread colours immediately.
- In store monogramming of the brand’s classic cashmere scarves from the Scarf Bar collection is available until 15 October 2015, and afterwards through the online Scarf Bar experience on Burberry.com
- Signature Bags
- Two of the brand’s signature bag styles: The Banner and The Bucket Bag are available to personalise with hand-painted initials until 14 October 2015
- In store live demonstration of handbag crafting by a Burberry craftsman is available until 20 October 2015
- The Banner is a softy-structured tote with understated lines and equestrian-inspired buckles. The Bucket Bag first appeared on the A/W15 runway and is crafted in a range of textural materials.
- My Burberry
- Inspired by the iconic trench coat, My Burberry captures the essence of a London garden after the rain. The glass bottle reflects details of the coat: the hand-tied knot in English-woven gabardine honours the fabric invented by Thomas Burberry over 100 years ago.
- In store monogramming of My Burberry Eau de Parfum 90ml bottles is available
- The Gift Collection
- Selected items from the brand’s new Regent Street gifting collection are available in store for a limited time.
- Candles are handmade in England, fragranced in a selection of classic scents and presented in glass or ceramic holders. Italian-leather bound notebooks, travel wallets, luggage tags and charms can be monogrammed in gold or sheer-gloss foil in a small or large font. Personalisation is carried out by monogramming experts from the Burberry Regent Street flagship store.
- Debossing of leather goods from the Regent Street gifting collection is available in store until 20 October 2015.
- Gift Packaging
- A hand-wrapping service is available exclusively in-store, in the brand’s honey-coloured packaging, inspired by the Burberry trench coat’s fabric.
- Notecards can be debossed and addressed by an in store calligrapher with a personal message.
- The exclusive wrapping service is available in store until 20 October 2015.
British singer-songwriter Clare Maguire
- Clare performed live at Burberry’s “London in Los Angeles” event in April 2015 and the Autumn/Winter 2015 menswear and womenswear shows in London
- Clare first performed a track for Burberry Acoustic in October 2013 –http://uk.burberry.com/acoustic#/acoustic/clare-maguire
- For further information visit http://claremaguire.com/
About the Burberry Shinjuku Store
- Opened in September 2015, the Burberry Shinjuku store houses Burberry’s largest product assortment in Japan, including the brand’s collection of iconic British-made heritage trench coats and scarves
- Collections: Burberry Prorsum, Burberry London, Burberry Brit, Heritage, Accessories
- Categories: womens, mens, accessories, eyewear, fragrance and watches
- Shinjuku Exclusives: an exclusive limited edition collection of men’s and women’s trench coats and accessories
Burberry in Japan
- Burberry has a long-term commitment to Japan where it currently has six standalone stores (Ginza, Kobe, Omotesando, Osaka, Roppongi and Shinjuku), 19 concessions offering the global collection, two Hankyu men’s-only concept concessions in Tokyo and Osaka, and 10 Childrenswear concessions.
- Burberry has started a new chapter in Japan in 2015. The brand’s licensed products are being replaced with the Burberry global product offering including its British made heritage trench coats and scarves.
- In June this year, Burberry announced a partnership with Shiseido for the distribution of fragrance and beauty products in Japan.
- In September, Burberry introduced Burberry Make–up in Japan, available exclusively from Burberry.com and the Burberry Beauty Box counters in Mitsukoshi Ginza (Tokyo) and Hankyu Umeda (Osaka).
- To celebrate the launch of Burberry Beauty in Japan, LINE users were given the first opportunity to purchase three limited sets of Burberry Beauty products directly through LINE Pay, marking the latest step in the brand’s digital partnership with the country’s leading social network.
- Established in 1856, Burberry is a global British luxury brand with a heritage of innovation, craftsmanship and design. The Burberry business comprises 5 divisions: mens, womens, childrens, accessories and beauty
- Burberry is headquartered in London and listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L), Burberry is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index
- Visit www.burberry.com for further information
Brunswick Group LLP
Tel: +44 (0)20 7404 5959
SOURCE: Burberry Group Plc