Company Grows Serve Good® Program to Help Independent Restaurants Meet Diner Demand for Sustainable Menu Options
ROSEMONT, Ill., 2018-Mar-02 — /EPR Retail News/ — US Foods Holding Corp. (NYSE: USFD) announced today (February 26, 2018) the launch of its 2018 Spring Scoop, dedicated to highlighting 26 new products from the company’s award-winning Serve Good program. Diners today care more than ever about the stories behind how their food is grown and raised. In fact, 67 percent of consumers state that they would have a better impression of a restaurant that offered sustainable foods and at least 80 percent of diners say they want to know more about their food source. As part of the company’s commitment to helping independent restaurants meet the growing demand for responsible menu options, all Serve Good products meet rigorous criteria for responsible sourcing or waste reduction. Additionally, all products are delivered in packaging developed according to strict packaging standards that help reduce waste and prioritize the use of recycled material.
Since launching with 24 products in 2016, the company’s Serve Good program now boasts more than 300 versatile products that fall into one of several categories including sustainable seafood, organic, non-GMO, animal care, responsible disposables or waste reduction, and many come with third-party certifications.
The portfolio is also supported with a pipeline of select seafood products within the company’s Progress Check™ initiative. Progress Check is a program that is designed specifically for the seafood category and highlights vendors that are on the path toward achieving the sustainable certifications required to be a part of the Serve Good program.
“Sustainable menu options are more than a trend, they’re a movement that’s here to stay. With Serve Good, we are committed to delivering a responsible approach to foodservice while equipping independent restaurants with high quality products diners will pay a premium for,” said Stacie Sopinka, vice president of product development and innovation, US Foods. “As we continue to deliver on our Great Food. Made Easy. strategy, our Serve Good portfolio empowers foodservice operators to source a wide variety of food and non-food items that have been carefully developed to help them succeed.”
Sustainable Seafood on the Menu
The term ‘sustainable’ has increased more than 300 percent on seafood menus in the past decadei.As the global demand for seafood continues to grow, responsibly sourced seafood is a key area of interest for diners and operators. Spring Scoop highlights several seafood offerings that meet leading third-party certifications, such as Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) and Marine Stewardship Council (MSC):
- Harbor Banks® Coho Salmon: Four-star BAP-certified, this salmon is fed fish protein combined with nutrient dense algae, so it produces more fish protein than it uses while retaining top-quality flavor, texture and nutrition.
- Harbor Banks® Yellowfin Tuna Loin: MSC-certified, sashimi grade, ready to cut and serve with minimal prep required.
Continued Demand for Transparency
Increasingly, diners want to know more about how their food is made, and where it comes from. Over the past decade, the growth of non-GMO, organic and products that are raised without antibiotics have surged, and today, consumers are less willing to compromise these preferences when they dine out. For example, more than half of consumers are concerned about GMOs within their food and beveragesi while the term ‘organic’ has grown on menus by 130 percent over the last 10 yearsi. Spring Scoop highlights include:
- Monarch® Non-GMO Ripened Sliced Sweet Plantains: Non-GMO Project Verified plantains imported from Ecuador that can be fried, pan-seared or baked.
- Metro Deli® All Natural* Prosciutto Raised Without Antibiotics: An artisanal prosciutto made with only pork and Nova Scotian coarse salt and aged for nine months according to centuries-old Italian techniques. Perfect for charcuterie boards, sandwiches, salads, and pizzas.
- Cross Valley Farms® Organic Fingerling Potato Blend: This first-to-market, versatile Fingerling Potato Blend is USDA-Certified Organic and includes colorful yellow, red and purple potatoes.
Beyond the Center-of-the-Plate
Responsibility comes in many forms beyond the center-of-the-plate, including beverages, disposables and desserts. Spring Scoop highlights several products that promote fair treatment of producers and the planet. Highlights include:
- Devonshire® Premium Banana Chocolate Swirl Cake Made with Rainforest Alliance Certified™ Bananas and Fair Trade Certified™ Chocolate: Inspired by a Minnesota State Fair award-winning recipe, this cake is made with Fair Trade Certified semisweet chocolate and cocoa powder from Callebaut, Fair Trade Certified granulated and powdered sugar and Rainforest Alliance Certified banana purée.
- Rituals® Moroccan Mint Iced Tea with Rainforest Alliance Certified Green Tea: No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Made from mint grown in Oregon, the tea is infused with spearmint, lemongrass and peppermint.
- Monogram® Sustainable Cutlery Kit: A kit featuring a napkin and cutlery that are Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI)-certified compostable. The napkin and band are also Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) Certified. This is a time-saving product that is ideal for to-go orders, catering, delivery and outdoor dining occasions.
Better Websites, More Business
Spring Scoop also features a new partnership with BentoBox, which is designed to help independent restaurants attract new customers with more functional mobile-ready restaurant websites. US Foods customers can now receive exclusive discounts and support from BentoBox. Learn more about this offering and other value added services here.
To learn more about the Spring Scoop 2018 lineup or to request a product demonstration visit www.usfoods.com/great-food/scoop_.
About US Foods
US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 250,000 restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With nearly 25,000 employees and more than 60 locations, US Foods provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill. and generates approximately $24 billion in annual revenue. Visit usfoods.com to learn more.
Director of Media Relations
Source: US Foods