Oil cleansing is a method of cleaning your face with natural oils to get rid of dirt, makeup, and extra oil from your skin. It is based on the idea that oil breaks down oil, so using oils can help clear your pores and balance your skin’s natural oil making. Oil cleansing can have many good effects for your skin, such as making it soft, feeding it, healing it, and calming it down.
To do oil cleansing, you need to pick the right oils for your skin kind and situation. Some common oils that people use are castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, sesame oil, and almond oil. You can use one oil or a mix of oils, depending on what you like and need.
The basic steps of oil cleansing are:
- Put some oil in your palm and rub your hands together to heat it up.
- Rub the oil softly onto your dry face for a few minutes. You can also use a cotton pad or a gentle cloth to put the oil on.
- Wet a washcloth with warm water and squeeze it out. Put it over your face and let it stay for a few seconds. This will help open up your pores and loosen the dirt and oil.
- Softly wipe off the oil with the washcloth. You may need to do this step a few times until your face feels clean.
- Wash your face with cool water and dry it with a towel. You can also put on a toner or a moisturizer if you want.
You can do oil cleansing once or twice a day, depending on how your skin acts. Some people like to do it in the evening to get rid of makeup and sunscreen, and use a mild cleanser in the morning. Others like to do it both in the morning and at night. You may need to try different oils and times to find what works best for you.