- Prime members can download movies and TV episodes to iPhones, iPads, Android phones and tablets and Fire devices at no additional charge
- Allows for offline viewing—on a plane, in a car, at the beach or wherever members want to watch Prime Video
SEATTLE, 2015-9-1 — /EPR Retail News/ — Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced that Prime members in the U.S., U.K., Germanyand Austria will now be able to download movies and TV episodes, including award-winning Amazon Original Series, to iPhones, iPads and Android phones and tablets for offline viewing, at no additional charge. Amazon Video is the only online subscription streaming video service that enables downloads of titles, meaning unlike other subscription streaming services such as Netflix, Prime members can enjoy movies and TV shows as part of their membership even when they don’t have an internet connection available. For more information and to download the app, visit http://www.amazon.com/GetAndroidVideo and http://amzn.to/1IBFZlU.
Titles available on Prime Video to download for offline viewing include:
- Drama series such as the Amazon Original Series Bosch based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling books; the Starz miniseries The White Queen; and hit network shows including 24, Covert Affairs, Downton Abbey, Extant, Grimm, Hannibal, Justified, Mr. Selfridge,Orphan Black, Sons of Anarchy, Teen Wolf, The Americans, The Good Wife, Suits, Under the Dome, Veronica Mars, Vikings, and many more
- Comedy series including Amazon’s multi-Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated series Transparent, the Roman Coppola andJason Schwartzman comedy Mozart in the Jungle, and the critically acclaimed comedy created by and starring Rob Delaney andSharon Horgan, Catastrophe
- Binge-worthy series such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Girls, Veep, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, and True Blood, among others
- Kids shows exclusive for Prime members including Amazon Original Series Wishenpoof!, Creative Galaxy, the 2015 Annie Award-winning animated series for preschoolers Tumble Leaf, the live-action kids series Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street, and Annedroids
- Blockbuster movies including Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Captive, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and The Wolf of Wall Street, in addition to exclusives such as Life After Beth, Palo Alto,Starred Up, The Bling Ring, If I Stay, and The Spectacular Now
“There’s no doubt that the way people watch entertainment is changing—anytime, anywhere viewing is important and we are excited to provide our Prime members with offline viewing capabilities on iOS and Android platforms starting today,” stated Michael Paull, Vice President of Digital Video at Amazon. “We are proud to be the first and only online subscription streaming service that enables offline viewing—on vacation, in a car, at the beach, on a plane, wherever our Prime members want to watch they can, regardless of internet connection.”
Prime members have already been loving video downloads on Fire devices. Here is what they have said:
- “DOWNLOAD AMAZON PRIME VIDEOS—AWESOME!”
- “I download Prime TV and movie content for my kids to watch while we are out and about (driving, waiting for sister’s soccer or dance classes, flying, etc.).”
- “Prime members get to download Prime TV shows, movies, music & books and are able to… wait for it. View, watch and listen OFFLINE!”
- “I could take videos with me when I had no internet connection, such as in a car. Second, when my kids want to watch videos, I can download their favorites so they won’t be hogging the bandwidth at home!”
The Amazon Video app for iOS has been updated to include Prime Video downloads. For more details on what’s new and to download the app, visit: http://amzn.to/1IBFZlU.
The Amazon Video app for Android is newly redesigned as a standalone video app to provide Android users with an improved in-app entertainment experience, including the ability to download titles from Prime Video. To learn more about what’s new and to download the app, visit: http://www.amazon.com/GetAndroidVideo
In addition to offline viewing on Fire devices, iPads, iPhones and Android devices, Prime members can instantly stream and enjoy their favorite movies and TV series using the Amazon Video app for TVs, connected devices and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/primevideo. Later this year, Prime members and customers will also have instant access to the complete Amazon digital video store while flying JetBlue. Eligible customers who are not Prime members can sign-up by visiting amazon.com/prime for a 30-day trial.
About Amazon Video
Amazon Video includes tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes available on Prime Video at no additional charge to Prime members, as well as access to hundreds of thousands of titles to buy or rent. Amazon Video is the only service in the world that brings customers both of these options in one place.
Amazon Video can be accessed through the Amazon Video app on TVs, connected devices and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/amazonvideo. Prime Video titles can also be downloaded for offline enjoyment—the only subscription streaming service to offer this functionality. Customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for a free trial at Amazon.com/prime.
Prime Video, available on Amazon Video, lets Prime members enjoy binge-worthy TV shows including Amazon Original Series airing now such as the multi-Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated series Transparent, the hour-long drama Bosch, based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling books, the Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman comedy Mozart in the Jungle, and the comedy created by and starring Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan, Catastrophe, in addition to binge-worthy favorites like The Sopranos, True Blood, and Girls, and popular primetime series including 24, Downton Abbey, Extant, Falling Skies, Grimm, Hannibal, Justified, Orphan Black, Teen Wolf, The Americans, and Under the Dome. Prime members also have access to an exclusive collection of kids shows now airing including Amazon Original Series Annedroids, Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street, and the Annecy, Annie and multi-Emmy Award-winning Tumble Leaf, as well as popular shows from Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. including SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer, Team Umizoomi, andBlue’s Clues.
Amazon Video also gives customers access to hundreds of thousands of movies and TV episodes to buy or rent including new release movies such as The Divergent Series: Insurgent, The Longest Ride, and Hot Pursuit, or the latest TV programming like The Astronaut Wives Club, Pretty Little Liars, How to Get Away with Murder, and many more.
In addition to tens of thousands of titles to instantly stream on Prime Video, the Amazon Prime membership (www.amazon.com/prime) includes more than one million songs, more than a thousand playlists and hundreds of stations through Prime Music, unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, early access to select Lightning Deals, unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos, and access to borrow from more than 800,000 books for Kindle owners–all for $99 a year.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.
Source: Amazon.com, Inc.
Media Hotline, 206-266-7180