As diners take food choices more personally than ever, restaurants must keep up to win
ROSEMONT, Ill., 2017-Jun-14 — /EPR Retail News/ — Today (June 12, 2017) US Foods unveiled its Summer Scoop™ 2017 (Summer Scoop) product lineup entitled, “It’s a Matter of Choice.” Designed to help restaurants meet the evolving demands of the discerning diner, Summer Scoop features 24 versatile products that cater to a variety of opposing tastes.
Whether dining with family or a group of friends, the individual preferences of diners vary widely based on their ethics, lifestyle or personal approach. In fact, 44 percent of adults now say food restrictions, food allergies or avoidance of certain ingredients dictate what they eat.1
“From socially conscious consumers to the specialized diets of food tribes, it’s becoming harder for groups of diners to visit a restaurant and find something on the menu that appeals to each of them,” said Stacie Sopinka, vice president of product development and innovation, US Foods. “Within a party of four, it’s not uncommon to find at least one diner who is gluten-free or vegetarian while the others want to explore bolder, trending flavor combinations. When restaurants can expand the choices they offer consumers with a few simple additions to their existing menu, they win.”
Summer Scoop offers versatile, on-trend products that are the recipe for bringing people together and helping independent operators succeed.
Picking Your Protein
Summer Scoop features a variety of meat and meatless options to help operators deliver on protein trends:
- Patuxent Farms® Chick-Arrones™ – a first-to-market appetizer or topper, this delicious protein dish is made from chicken thighs and chicken skin that is fried up to a crunchy perfection. Designed to soak up sauce, restaurants can use this product in a variety of menu options. Toss them in a Korean BBQ sauce over vegetable fried rice or in a buffalo wing sauce with a side of blue cheese for a cost-effective menu alternative to standard chicken wings.
- Molly’s Kitchen® Meatless Breaded Boneless Wings – according to Datassential TIPS, 40 percent of consumers are likely to try alternative proteins.2 Molly’s Kitchen® meatless breaded boneless wings are 100 percent vegetarian and feature a meat-free protein that delivers the texture and flavor of real chicken.
- Molly’s Kitchen® Meatless Crumbles – versatile and true to flavors of traditional ground beef – minus the meat – this product provides a flavorful substitute for vegetarian diners.
Designed for vegetarians, paleo diets or those looking for bolder flavor combinations, Summer Scoop offers restaurants simple sides or small dishes that appeal to a variety of tastes. Product highlights include:
- Cross Valley Farms® Spiral Cut Kohlrabi – a hearty, spiralized vegetable noodle, Kohlrabi has grown 1,165 percent on menus in the past four years.3 Light and neutral in taste, Kohlrabi can take on the distinct flavors of any unique dish as a pasta substitute or cold vegetable dish addition.
- Molly’s Kitchen® Battered Elote Corn Bites – a shareable appetizer or side dish inspired by authentic, Mexican street corn, Elotes has nearly doubled its presence on menus over the past four years.3 This product features charred corn kernels with lime, garlic, green onion, cilantro, chili and smoked paprika mixed with a blend of five cheeses and fried to perfection in corn masa batter.
As gluten-free offerings have grown 450 percent on menus over the past four years,3 gluten-free diners are seeking more authentic flavor experiences while indulgent diners are looking for rich, decadent desserts with authentic ingredients like real butter and sugar. Summer Scoop highlights include:
- Chef’s Line® Gluten Free Italian Pizza Crust – made in Italy, this crust is completely gluten-free and is comparable in flavor and texture to traditional wheat-based pizza crusts. As gluten-free goes mainstream, 14 percent of pizza menus now feature a gluten-free option.3
- Chef’s Line® Kouign Amann – a signature caramelized croissant rosette inspired by the hyper-regional specialty baked goods found in the Brittany region of France, this pastry is made with croissant dough laminated to 65 layers and filled with salted sugar and real butter. The pastry takes its cues from popular donut and croissant hybrids.
Enhanced Online Ordering Capabilities
In addition to these new products, Summer Scoop features enhancements to US Foods Online, an online platform designed to make ordering easy. Customers can now view personalized product recommendations, order status, details and history. Online ordering is fast, efficient and cost-effective. Learn more about US Foods Online at usfoods.com/order.
For more on the full Summer Scoop lineup, visit usfoods.com/food/scoop and join the conversation on social media with #USFScoop. You can also like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and watch our chefs in action on YouTube.
About US Foods
US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 250,000 chefs, restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With nearly 25,000 employees and more than 60 locations, US Foods provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill. and generates approximately $23 billion in annual revenue. Discover more at www.usfoods.com.
1 Packaged Facts Report, 2014
2 Datassential TIPS, 2014
3 Datassential MenuTrends, 2016
Source: US Foods