Houston, TX, 2017-Sep-06 — /EPR Retail News/ — As the impact of Hurricane Harvey has unfolded, we have been saddened by its impact on our co-workers and neighbors. But we’ve also been touched by the heroic acts and the community spirit of those involved in the rescue and recovery efforts. As a member of the local community, we believe it’s important for IKEA to be a part of these efforts, too.
- providing temporary housing;
- continuing to pay all co-workers for the time our Houston locations have been closed;
- providing financial assistance through our WeCare Co-worker Emergency Relief Fund; and
- giving co-workers free meals at our staff café for the next two weeks.
The IKEA family also extends into the community. To play our part in helping the community recover, we are working with our partners at the American Red Cross, Save the Children, FEMA and the Houston Food Bank. This includes:
- creating care packages for the American Red Cross which consist of everyday home items, such as sheets, pillows, towels, and toys to help families get back on their feet;
- donating products to Save the Children to create child-friendly spaces in rescue centers which enable children to play, socialize, and begin to recover after a disaster;
- offering FEMA the use of our parking lot as a command center and the IKEA restaurant as a disaster relief station where FEMA workers can meet families in need of assistance; and
- coordinating a volunteer day at the Houston Food Bank where IKEA co-workers can take part in recovery efforts.
We’re glad to have welcomed our co-workers and customers back into our store on Friday, September 1st. This is part of getting back to the normalcy of our everyday lives. Yet for many of us, our everyday lives continue to be impacted because we must rebuild our homes. To help right now, IKEA is extending our 15% co-worker discount to all customers who shop in the Houston store from September 1st to October 2nd. Come on by, we’ll be happy to have you.
Togetherness is at the heart of the IKEA culture. We will be together with our co-workers, customers, and the community in the next months and years as we rebuild after this terrible storm.
Fredrik Rabe, IKEA Houston Store Manager
Lars Petersson, IKEA US President
For more information about what’s happening in IKEA Houston, like our limited hours and 15% discount, visit the IKEA Houston local store page, www.ikea.com/us/en/store/houston