New Product Line Features 26 Products and Online Staffing Solution
ROSEMONT, Ill., 2017-Sep-20 — /EPR Retail News/ — US Foods (NYSE: USFD) is pleased to announce the launch of its Fall Scoop™ 2017 (Fall Scoop) product lineup themed, “Make It Yours.” The lineup features 26 products, six of which were developed in collaboration with award-winning chef, author and independent restaurateur, Chef Marcus Samuelsson. As operators strive to design the ideal menu and run an efficient kitchen and streamlined business, Fall Scoop helps provide the inspiration they need. The issue includes on-trend products inspired by Chef Samuelsson’s distinct global flavors, versatile items that maximize ingredients and help cut food costs and prepared foods that save chefs time in the kitchen.
“One of the most essential ingredients to succeeding in the restaurant industry is finding the perfect balance of products that not only inspire menus but offer easy alternatives, time savings and profit drivers,” said Stacie Sopinka, vice president of product development and innovation, US Foods. “For Fall Scoop, we partnered with Marcus to create a line that gives operators the inspiration they need to empower their success.”
Inspiration From a Culinary Genius
US Foods partnered with Chef Samuelsson to inspire the next wave of global cuisine. Together, US Foods and Chef Samuelsson developed six products that showcase Chef Samuelsson’s culinary expertise and highlight his re-imagined American soul food concept. The products, which are inspired by Chef Samuelsson’s Ethiopian and Swedish heritage and his roots in Harlem, New York, include:
- Patuxent Farms® Uptown Par-Fried Chicken Thigh – inspired by Chef Samuelsson’s famous Yard Bird Chicken from Red Rooster Harlem, this dish is a cross between Grandma’s fried chicken and world cuisine. This product includes the crunch of traditional southern breading, along with buttermilk, coconut milk and a touch of Berbere seasoning cooked to perfection.
- Molly’s Kitchen® Spicy Battered Cauliflower with Aleppo Pepper – easily deep-fried or baked in less than five minutes, Spicy Battered Cauliflower with Aleppo Pepper serves up a tender cauliflower floret in crispy batter, seasoned with a gentle, well-balanced Middle Eastern spice.
- Monarch® Addis Style Spice Blend – inspired by the traditional Ethiopian Berbere spice blends, this version factors in cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and chile de árbol. This item can be used as a rub for meats, poultry and fish, and as a seasoning for stews, soups, grains and vegetables.
- Chef’s Line® Cornbread Muffin – by adding big-city spice to down-home soul food, this collaboration has livened up traditional corn muffins with the warm red and gently sweet spice of Aleppo pepper. This product can be served as a sweet side dish or main plate breakfast item.
- Harbor Banks® Smoked Norwegian Salmon – a staple in Sweden where Chef Samuelsson grew up, this Norwegian salmon is cold-smoked for 24 hours using Beechwood at a critical point in the process, which contributes to higher quality and sensory attributes.
- Harbor Banks® Smoked Norwegian Trout – sometimes known as Norwegian Atlantic steelhead trout, this delicious dish has a rich red color and firm texture.
Versatile and Cost-Conscious
Sixty three percent of restaurant operators are concerned with managing food costs1, and 38 percent believe maximizing ingredients is one of the top ways to keep these costs low2. Fall Scoop features a variety of products that give operators the versatility they need for a wide range of dishes. Highlighted products include:
- Patuxent Farms® Pepper Bacon Sausage – a smoky, peppery pork sausage that can be sliced and served or crumbled into a variety of different dishes.
- Harbor Banks® Cape Shark Tenders – a first-to-market foodservice product, these Marine Stewardship Council™ (MSC)-Certified Cape Shark Tenders provide a distinctive white fish menu option that can be used as center-of-the-plate, taco topping or appetizer.
- Chef’s Line® Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream – a traditionally creamy ice cream featuring a classic autumnal flavor – real pumpkin. It goes perfectly with the season’s pumpkin craze and in a sundae, shake or affogato.
Tasteful Time Savers
Fall Scoop also offers products that provide invaluable back-of-house shortcuts that keep time and effort in the kitchen low. Product highlights include:
- Cross Valley Farms® Veggie Crunch Salad Kit – an ultra-convenient mixture of texture, color and crunch, this gorgeous salad makes for the perfect side dish or main course. You simply open, toss and serve.
- Glenview Farms® Premium Cage Free Pasteurized Liquid Whole Eggs – these cage free liquid eggs are from humanely raised hens and are perfect for essential egg dishes any time of the day. They are made without artificial colors, flavors and preservatives and come ready-to-use.
- Patuxent Farms® All Natural* Chicken Breast Slices – versatile and pre-cut, this product can be used in multiple dishes to provide a flavorful meat addition to any menu offering.
- Devonshire® Premium Belgian Waffle – baked in Belgium and true to the country’s original style, this premium waffle can used for breakfast or dessert topped with ice cream or fruit or as a handheld, on-the-go-item.
Must-Have Online Staffing Solution
In addition to these new products, Fall Scoop also features Homebase, a leading online labor management tool that enables paperless scheduling, time tracking, text and email messaging and reporting. Managing schedules and communicating with team members is now fast, efficient and cost-effective. Learn more about US Foods Online staffing solutions at usfvalueaddedservices.com/homebase.
For more on the full Fall Scoop lineup, visit usfoods.com/food/scoop and join the conversation on social media with #USFScoop. You can also like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and watch our chefs in action on YouTube.
About US Foods
US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 250,000 restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With nearly 25,000 employees and more than 60 locations, US Foods provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill. and generates approximately $23 billion in annual revenue. Visit usfoods.com to learn more.
About Marcus Samuelsson
Chef Marcus Samuelsson is an award-winning chef and owner of Red Rooster Harlem, Streetbird Rotisserie and Red Rooster Shoreditch in London. The youngest person to receive a three-star review from The New York Times, Samuelsson has won multiple James Beard Foundation Awards including Best Chef: New York City. Samuelsson has appeared on “Top Chef Masters” and “Chopped All-Stars” and is the author of best-selling memoir “Yes, Chef” and multiple cook books, including “Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook At Home.” A committed philanthropist, Samuelsson co-produces Harlem EatUp!, a food and culture festival that launched in 2015, and is also the co-chair of the board of directors for Careers through Culinary Arts Program (C-CAP). Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter at @marcuscooks.
1 Pulse, 2017
2 Pulse, 2016
*Minimally processed, no artificial ingredients.
Source: US Foods