CHESHUNT, England, 2016-Jul-19 — /EPR Retail News/ — Generous Tesco customers have donated 2.8 million meals to feed people in need during the eighth Neighbourhood Food Collection, which took place in all stores from 30 June – 2 July 2016.
The collection, now in its fifth year, gives Tesco customers the opportunity to donate vital store cupboard staple foods to food redistribution charity FareShare and foodbank charity The Trussell Trust. This summer’s collection brings the total number of meals collected to more than 36 million since the Neighbourhood Food Collection began in 2012.
Tesco has topped up donations made by 20% to enable the charities to expand their networks and reach even more people in need.
Caroline Silke, Head of Community at Tesco, said:
“We are truly appreciative of the continued generosity our customers have shown for the Neighbourhood Food Collection in their communities. We believe that no one should go hungry and the food donated will play a vital role in helping feed many people in need. We want to thank our colleagues and all the fantastic volunteers whose support and dedication made the collection possible.”
Lindsay Boswell, CEO of FareShare, said:
“This summer’s Neighbourhood Food Collection clearly captured the hearts of generous public shoppers and it has also helped to raise awareness of the hunger affecting millions of vulnerable people across the UK. The 2.8 million meals donated by the public means that FareShare can provide much-valued store cupboard essentials to nearly 2,500 charities and community groups, helping them to feed even more people in need, this summer and beyond”.
David McAuley, Trussell Trust Chief Executive, said:
“We want to say a massive thank you to everyone who participated in this summer’s Neighbourhood Food Collection. Unavoidable circumstances such as illness, redundancy or an unexpected bill can all leave people facing hunger and needing help from a foodbank. In communities up and down the country parents are skipping meals to feed their children, which is why the incredible generosity shown by Tesco customers, store staff and volunteers is so valuable; it enables Trussell Trust foodbanks across the UK to be there to provide emergency food and support when anyone is hit by crisis”.
For more information about the Neighbourhood Food Collection, please visit www.tesco.com/food-collection.
Notes to editors:
The Trussell Trust:
- The Trussell Trust runs a network of over 420 foodbanks in the UK, that work with churches and communities to provide three days emergency food and support to people in crisis.
- In 2015-16, 1,109,309 three day emergency food supplies were provided to people in crisis by Trussell Trust foodbanks across the UK. Of this number, 415,866 went to children.
- Over 90% of food given out by foodbanks is donated by the public and everyone who comes to a foodbank is referred by a frontline professional or agency, such as the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, healthcare workers and children’s centres.
- The 20% top up is redistributed by The Trussell Trust to participating foodbanks and then used by them to: develop additional beneficiary support services e.g. counselling and housing advice, provide volunteering/training opportunities, help cover running costs, set up social enterprises and purchase food.
- Find out more: trusselltrust.org
FareShare is a UK-wide charity that tackles food waste and food poverty by redistributing in date, good food from the food & drink industry, that would otherwise go to waste, to frontline charities and community groups that support vulnerable people, including homeless shelters, children’s breakfast clubs, and domestic violence refuges. These organisations transform the food into nutritious meals, which they provide alongside life-changing support. In 2015/16, FareShare redistributed 9,070 tonnes of food to 2,489 charities and community groups, enough to provide 18.3 million meals for people in need with an estimated value to the charity sector of £19.6 million. To find out more, please visit www.fareshare.org.uk
For media enquiries on the Neighbourhood Food Collection please contact the Tesco press office: Press.Office@uk.tesco.com or call 01707 918 701
- Tesco raises 2.8 million meals during the eighth Neighbourhood Food Collection to feed people in need