FT. EDWARD, N.Y, 2017-Jan-11 — /EPR Retail News/ — The Golub Corporation cut the ribbon on its first “ground up” Market 32 in the State of New York today in Ft. Edward, giving local residents the opportunity to experience the chain’s contemporary new supermarket concept. Located at 354 Broadway, this redevelopment project reflects a Herculean collaborative effort by the Golub Corporation, the municipality, developers, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, the Environmental Protection Agency and National Grid. Constructed on a fully remediated brownfield site, the new Market 32 bolsters the town’s comprehensive redevelopment plan and returns a supermarket to the town for the first time since 2003.
Golub Corporation Executive Chairman Neil Golub, Vice Chairman Jerry Golub, President & CEO Scott Grimmett, Store Manager Joe Reiser and other company officials were joined by Deputy Secretary of State Sandi Allen, New York State Assembly Member Carrie Woerner, Ft. Edward Town Supervisor Mitch Suprenant, Village of Ft. Edward Mayor Matthew Traver, Town Trustee and Grant Writer Darlene DeVoe, and other elected officials and civic leaders, including Bruce Ginsburg of IKON Realty Group, David Kaplan of Kaplan Realty and hundreds of local residents for an official ribbon-cutting ceremony. The American flag was raised by members of American Legion #1133.
A catered preview party held the night before drew several hundred people to the store and raised thousands of dollars for Ft. Edward Youth Sports, Ft. Edward Community Food Pantry and the Ft. Edward Backpack Program. All proceeds collected at the door were matched by both Market 32 and the team of IKON and Kaplan Realty Groups.
“Market 32 is a contemporary, food-focused concept store that reflects what our customers have told us they want in a modern and convenient shopping experience,” said Grimmett.
This is the 12th Market 32 to open since the company announced its plans to develop the new brand across the majority of its stores. To date, 10 of the company’s Price Chopper stores have been converted to Market 32, while three have been built from the ground up in Sutton, Mass. (opened in October 2015); Oxford, Conn. (in September 2016) and Ft. Edward. Several conversions are currently underway across the chain’s six state footprint, while another new ground up store is planned for Clifton Park, N.Y. in 2017.
The look and feel of Market 32 is distinctively more modern than Price Chopper, though many of the differences are subtle. Marked by open space, a décor filled with soft earth tones and productfocused displays, murals and lighting, the brand emphasizes convenient, ready-to-eat foods; fresh, handcrafted, and locally grown, produced and manufactured products; and intuitive product/department adjacencies (e.g., greeting cards next to the floral department).
“Our Ft. Edward Market 32 is a grocery store for this and future generations. While maintaining our focus on quality and value, we’ve added a host of wonderful signature items throughout the store, plus modern conveniences like customized prepared foods, a café equipped with WiFi, a full-service pharmacy with a drive-through, a Chef’s Table offering food demonstrations and sampling, and a new higher standard of service,” said Grimmett.
The more than 41,000-square-foot store employs 170 full- and part-time teammates. Some of the features of the new Ft Edward Market 32 include:
• A Full-Service Pharmacy, with a convenient drive-through, is a complete health and wellness destination for the community. Pharmacists can answer health and medication related questions in private patient consultation rooms and administer flu and other preventative shots. Most insurance plans are accepted and Market 32 makes it easy to transfer prescriptions. Market 32’s award-winning Diabetes AdvantEdge program offers customers free diabetes medications and supplies while the RxAdvantEdge Plan offers discounts on medications. And an onsite blood pressure kiosk is available to customers, as are personal SmartCards, to help those who are interested in tracking their results and sharing them with a health care provider.
• A Center Store (Grocery and General Merchandise) department featuring: the rollout of PICS – Market 32’s exclusive line of high-quality, value-priced products; a customizable ‘pick 24’ on single serve Price Chopper brand coffee pods; an expanded craft beer section with a “Pick 6” and large variety of local N.Y. favorites; locally sourced products (both dry packaged and dairy); natural and organic offerings integrated into their relative categories; and an expansive glutenfree section.
• A full-service, Fresh Meat Department offers an extensive variety of high-quality Certified Angus Beef steaks and roasts, including specialty restaurant cuts such as the tomahawk rib steak and bone-in filet. Case ready variety includes an exclusive on Chiappetti 100% Grass Fed/Grass Finished Antibiotic Free beef and all natural and hormone free lamb and veal. Convenient, value-added meats include panko-encrusted cutlets, stuffed chops with all natural no water/no salt added, and the free seasoning and/or marinating of USDA Grade A chicken, beef and pork products by our in-store expert butchers.
• A wide ranging, colorful and Fresh Produce Department with mountains of heirloom tomatoes, fresh bunches of herbs and a wide variety of mushrooms and peppers. Market 32 is dedicated to finding local providers for produce (as possible, given growing seasons) and is committed to an expanded assortment of organic produce. Additionally, customers will find an assortment of prepared, ready-to-cook and grab-n-go fruit and vegetables.
• The Fresh and Healthy Seafood Department offers the most extensive assortment of salmon found in a supermarket, including wild caught, farm raised, Scottish, cedar planked, marinated portions, stuffed pinwheels, and even New Zealand King Salmon – all in all, more than three dozen varieties from which to choose. The extensive fin fish selection includes sea bass, halibut portions, tilapia, haddock; the varieties of shellfish include lobster, clams, shrimp and crab. Fresh seafood selections fried or steamed to order, with classic sides such as coleslaw and French fries, top a menu of full prepared meals, while selections dredged in free seasoning rubs, or those that have been breaded or stuffed offer simple, ready-to-cook solutions.
• A Fresh Deli Department featuring quality sliced meats and cheeses that help to create healthy meal solutions, such as those from McKenzie Natural Artisan Deli, whose turkeys and hams are sourced from local family farms and contain no antibiotics, no growth hormones and no nitrates.
• An expanded Specialty Cheese Department featuring Market 32’s signature Cheese Shop with more than 200 varieties of unique cheeses, including those from local makers. Our knowledgeable cheese mongers are there to help customers sample and select the right cheese every time, whether for entertaining or snacking.
• Convenient, Delicious and Healthy Prepared Foods throughout the store so shoppers can bring home full meals or supplement meals without sacrificing freshness or value. Offerings include fresh-baked Corner to Corner and Tavoletta pizzas; a variety of hot and cold soups; an in-store smoker that slow cooks ribs, brisket, chicken and pulled pork with Market 32’s signature rub; sushi delivered fresh daily; and Grab & Go and heat and eat meals.
• A colorful and aromatic Floral Department to brighten any room or occasion greets Market 32 shoppers as they enter the store. As the largest florist in the Northeast, Market 32 has a wide array of assorted fresh flowers and plants. With custom design services, Market 32 floral experts can help customers design the perfect flowers for all of life’s occasions.
• A warm and inviting Bakery Department provides delicious store-made breads and desserts, signature Vienna breads and decadent individual deserts such as fruit tarts and cupcakes, as well as dessert and special occasion cakes.
Throughout Market 32, customers will notice a commitment to supporting local manufacturers and growers, sourcing authentic imports and expanding varieties of gluten-free, organic and natural products. Unique destination displays explode with a wide variety of popular categories, adding ideas and excitement to the shopping experience.
“This Market 32 reflects the newest and best ideas that we’ve gotten from our customers. We’re very proud of this store and we’re pleased to be a part of this community,” said Grimmett.
About The Golub Corporation:
Based in Schenectady, NY, the Golub Corporation owns and operates 136 Price Chopper and Market 32 grocery stores in New York, Vermont, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The American owned, family-managed company prides itself on longstanding traditions of innovative food merchandising, leadership in community service, and cooperative employee relations. Golub’s 20,000 teammates collectively own more than 47% of the company’s privately held stock, making it one of the nation’s largest privately held corporations that is predominantly employeeowned. For additional information, visit www.market32.com
The Golub Corporation/Market
32 518-221-1186 (cell)
Source: Market 32