More than 50 percent of Pay with Amazon customers are Prime Members
SEATTLE, 2017-Feb-08 — /EPR Retail News/ — Amazon today (-Feb. 7, 2017) announced that more than 33 million customers have used Amazon Payments to make a purchase. Amazon Payments makes it easy for customers around the world to pay on thousands of merchant websites using the information already stored in their Amazon account. In 2016, Pay with Amazon payment volume nearly doubled, with expansions into France, Italy and Spain and new verticals including government payments, travel, digital goods, insurance, entertainment, non-profits and charities helping fuel this growth. Amazon Payments also introduced new in-store experiences with Moda Operandi and Amazon Books.
“As we have introduced new experiences with merchants, we have seen a significant increase in the number of customers using the information from their Amazon account to make purchases on merchant websites,” said Patrick Gauthier, vice president, Amazon Payments. “Amazon Payments brings the simplicity and familiarity of Amazon’s buying experience to our merchant customers, making it easy for millions of Amazon customers around the world to pay using the information already stored in their Amazon account.”
As consumers shop in more and more ways – online, in store, and on the go – their expectations for speed, convenience and personalization continues to grow. Amazon Payments helps businesses meet these new customer expectations by working together to introduce new experiences and touch points that enrich the shopping journey and better connect customers around the world.
“Amazon Payments connects merchants with customers that are accustomed to making purchases online,” said Gauthier. “By connecting with these customers, merchants are driving higher conversion, increasing sales and ultimately growing their business.”
2016 Amazon Payments Business Highlights
- Customers from more than 170 countries used Pay with Amazon to make a purchase in 2016
- Amazon Payments launched for merchants in France, Italy and Spain
- More than 50 percent of Pay with Amazon customers are Prime Members
- 32 percent of transactions using Pay with Amazon were made on a mobile device
- Payment volume nearly doubled in 2016, with peak volume on November 28, as customers in the US and the UK enjoyed Cyber Monday offers
- The Amazon Global Partner Program launched in the United States, Germany, United Kingdom and Japan, with 50 service providers signing up in the first 8 months
- Active merchants grew more than 120 percent year over year as Amazon Payments expanded support for new verticals, including government payments, travel, digital goods, insurance, entertainment, non-profits and charities
- Pay with Amazon was used to collect donations for the victims of earthquakes in Kumatomo (April 2016, Japan) and Amatrice (August 2016,Italy)
- The average Pay with Amazon purchase was $80 in 2016, with the largest single transaction being $40,000
- Amazon Payments Introduced new in-store experiences with Moda Operandi and at Amazon Books
To learn more about Amazon Payments, please visit payments.amazon.com.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
Source: Amazon.com, Inc.