FRAMINGHAM, Mass., 2016-Sep-30 — /EPR Retail News/ — Staples, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPLS) announced today (Sep. 28, 2016) that for the thirteenth year in a row it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, a leading global benchmark for corporate responsibility.
“To be selected, for the thirteenth year in a row, as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices is a testament to Staples commitment to sustainability,” said Mark Buckley, vice president of environmental affairs, Staples, Inc. “We not only operate our business in a responsible manner, we help our customers make a positive impact on the planet by offering them more sustainable products and services.”
As a result of its continued commitment, Staples has once again been recognized for its leading environmental and social business practices. Recent highlights include:
- Offering more than 13,000 products globally with environmental attributes, representing more than $5.2 billion in sales in 2015, about 30 percent of global product sales.
- 56 million ink and toner cartridges recycled for customers in 2015 across all Staples markets.
- 26 million pounds of office technology recycled for customers for free globally last year.
- In 2015, Staples ended the year with 527 active buildings certified to the ENERGY STAR standard, or 38 percent of its total US operations. Staples has been an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for 7 consecutive years.
- In 2016, Staples has been recognized with the Alliance to Save Energy’s Stars of Energy Efficiency Built Environment award for its commitment to energy reduction and efficiency in its stores.
- The ISO14001 Environmental Management System standard is held in 84 facilities across Staples internationally. Staples Sweden, Staples Denmark and Staples Norway were the first facilities in the industry in Europe to receive ISO 26000 verification, an international standard for social responsibility.
- Staples Europe has planted 7,400 trees through its support of Plant for the Planet, one of the world’s leading tree planting charities.
To learn more about sustainable products and services at Staples, visit our sustainability center at: www.staples.com/sustainability.
For additional information on the DJSI, please visit: http://www.sustainability-indices.com/
About Staples, Inc.
Staples retail stores and Staples.com help small business customers make more happen by providing a broad assortment of products, expanded business services and easy ways to shop, all backed with a lowest price guarantee. Staples offers businesses the convenience to shop and buy how and when they want – in store, online, via mobile or though social apps. Staples.com customers can either buy online and pick-up in store or ship for free from Staples.com with Staples Rewards minimum purchase. Expanded services also make it easy for businesses to succeed with in-store Business Centers featuring shipping services and products, copying, scanning, faxing and computer work stations, Tech Services, full-service Print & Marketing Services, Staples Merchant Services, small business lending and credit services.
Staples Business Advantage, the business-to-business division of Staples, Inc., helps mid-market, commercial and enterprise-sized customers make more happen by offering a curated assortment of products and services combined with deep expertise, best-in-class customer service, competitive pricing and state-of-the art ecommerce site. Staples Business Advantage is the one-source solution for all things businesses need to succeed, including office supplies, facilities cleaning and maintenance, breakroom snacks and beverages, technology, furniture, interior design and Print & Marketing Services. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples, Inc. operates throughout North and South America,Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (NASDAQ: SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.
905-737-1147, ext. 2714
Source: Staples Inc.