Cheshunt, England, 2014-9-9 — /EPR Retail News/ — A 1950s Tesco delivery van has been touring central London this morning, visiting landmarks including the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and Regent Street, before heading to Great Ormond Street Hospital to donate a mix of retro and modern toys to its onsite school.
The retro van, similar to those which serviced Tesco stores in the 1950s, has been lovingly restored to its former glory and has been weaving its way through central London giving onlookers a glimpse of the past.
The retro van – driven by a Tesco colleague in an authentic 1950s driver’s uniform – will be appearing at this year’s Goodwood Revival Festival in Sussex, as part of Tesco’s sponsorship of the popular event. To mark this year’s Revival, toy makers Hornby have made a special one-off collectible version of the van.
The restored van will now travel down to Sussex ready for Goodwood Revival weekend, where Tesco has a 1960s replica shop. The store is stocked with retro products specially produced for the event and colleagues in authentic uniforms from the era will serve customers. This year F&F will feature their new Duchess range, which is inspired by 50s style, and Euphorium bakery will be providing revelers with delicious baked classics.
Local Marketing Director Mike Emery Said: ‘We’ve seen lots of people on the streets of London doing double-takes as the 1950s van drives past, and we’ve had loads of requests for selfies with the van. The response has been absolutely brilliant, and we’ve even met a few people who remember seeing the original vans driving round the streets of London.”
Notes to Editors:
- Goodwood Revival takes place 12-14 September. It has a strict 1940-1960’s theme and dress code.
- Around 150,000 people are expected to attend this year’s Revival, with visitors travelling from all over the world.
- Tesco are a main sponsor of the Goodwood revival festival and each year delights visitors with its retro store, products and services.
- You can take a virtual tour of the retro store here.
- Tesco has worked with independent suppliers to source retro products exclusively for their store at Goodwood Revival festival.
- You can find out more about Goodwood Revival here.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on
We are a team of over 500,000 people in 12 markets dedicated to providing the most compelling offer to our customers.