LONDON, 2015-1-21 — /EPR Retail News/ — Conrad Williams (coach: Linford Christie) will captain a GB & NI team that also includes World Indoor 60m champion Richard Kilty (Christie) at the Sainsbury’s Glasgow International Match on Saturday 24 January.
Also lining up as part of a strong GB & NI team is former world junior silver medallist Jessica Judd (George Gandy) in the 1500m, 2008 World Indoor long jump silver medallist Chris Tomlinson (Ken Tomlinson), Commonwealth Games pole vault silver medallist Luke Cutts (Trevor Fox) and World Junior bronze medallist David Omoregie (Mike Guest) in the 60m hurdles, one of six GB & NI senior debutants.
Williams, who has represented GB & NI at Olympic Games, World Championships and European Championships, will compete in an individual 400m indoors for the first time in three years and is excited to lead out his country at the Sainsbury’s Glasgow International Match.
He said: “It’s a real honour to captain the GB & NI team for the Sainsbury’s Glasgow International Match. I was surprised but delighted when Stephen Maguire asked me, it has been a goal of mine to captain a team. I love representing my country and it doesn’t get much better than being made captain. I’m so chuffed and I’m looking forward to leading the team and performing well on the track in Glasgow in both the 400m and 4x400m.”
Kilty, who won World Indoor 60m gold in a thrilling race with a personal best of 6.49 last March, will compete indoors for the first time since his triumph in Poland.
He said: “To be at the Sainsbury’s Glasgow International Match as world champion is really exciting. This is my first race back as world champion and I’m really excited to get back to Great Britain and perform. I’m pretty nervous to get out there, I haven’t competed for about four months. I’m sure the crowd will get behind me so I can run a pretty quick time and put in a good performance.”
British Athletics’ Performance Director Neil Black said: “Coming at the start of the indoor season, the Sainsbury’s Glasgow International Match is important for hitting the ground running and getting the year off to a good start. It’s great to see six new faces in the GB & NI team and with three of them being teenagers it shows that we have some excellent young talent coming through.”
Full GB & NI team for the Sainsbury’s Glasgow International Match:
- 60m: Richard Kilty
- 400m: Conrad Williams (Linford Christie) (captain)
- 800m: James Bowness (William Parker)
- 1500m: Stephen Mitchell (James Thie)
- 60m H: David Omoregie (Mike Guest)
- High jump: Chris Kandu (Fuzz Ahmed)
- Pole vault: Luke Cutts (Trevor Fox)
- Long jump: Chris Tomlinson (Ken Tomlinson)
- 4x400m: Williams, Rabah Yousif (Carol Williams), Richard Buck (Nick Dakin), Elliot Rutter (Dan Cossins), Jarryd Dunn (Keith Holt)
- 60m: Rachel Johncock (Leon Baptiste)
- 400m: Kelly Massey (Stephen Ball)
- 800m: Shelayna Oskan-Clarke (Ayo Falola)
- 1500m: Jessica Judd (George Gandy)
- 60m H: Serita Solomon (Michelle Bovell)
- Long jump: Jazmin Sawyers (Alan Lerwill)
- 4x400m: Massey, Seren Bundy-Davies (Ball), Emily Diamond (Cossins), Victoria Ohuruogu (Lloyd Cowan)
For tickets to the Sainsbury’s Indoor Grand Prix visit britishathletics.org.uk. Sainsbury’s is proud to be a long-term supporter of British Athletics and a champion of inclusive sport for all, from grassroots to elite level.