Milton Keynes, UK, 2014-9-18— /EPR Retail News/ — Leading high street retailer Argos is looking for around 10,000 seasonal workers to help serve the 60 million customers who will shop with Argos during the peak Christmas shopping season.
Extra customer advisors will be on hand to ensure millions of wish lists are fulfilled in time for the big day. With toys, video games, tablets and phones expected to be popular with customers this year.
Roles are available across all of our stores in the UK, including over 30 of Argos’ new digital stores in different formats, which combine the benefits of online shopping with a physical store.
Initial contracts for the store roles are for around three months, with the potential for some roles to become permanent at the end of the season, where vacancies exist.
Sonia Astill, HR Director, Argossaid: “As we approach our busiest shopping period of the year, we need the extra support in our stores. We are looking for people who are customer focussed, energetic and enthusiastic to join our teams to ensure we continue to deliver brilliant customer service.
“People are at the heart of our transformation as a business and we are excited to welcome new people at this key time for us. We can offer fantastic, flexible training that will also benefit colleagues for the long term.
“Argos has been a traditional part of the UK Christmas for forty years. Our ability to deliver a choice of 43,000 products for the whole family within easy reach is why millions of people visit our stores over the festive period.”
Argos serves more than 123 million customers throughout its 734 stores every year, with 95 per cent of the population living less than 10 miles from an Argos store.
The roles are available nationwide:
|Country||Number of vacancies|
|Northern Ireland||Around 250|
|Republic of Ireland||Around 500|
New team members will receive competitive rates of pay and immediate benefits of 10 per cent staff discount at Argos and 20 per cent discount at sister company Homebase. The ‘My Benefits’ scheme gives all staff exclusive savings and local discounts both online and in a variety of other high street retailers.
Successful applicants can gain valuable and transferable skills via Argos’Open Doortraining system. This enables them to work through retail training modules at work, on the move or from the comfort of their own home using their smartphone, tablet or PC.
For the first time ever, colleagues will also be able to play an active role in supporting Argos’ official charity partners – Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer Scotland and The Alzheimer Society of Ireland – by undertaking an awareness session to become a Dementia Friend.
By 2015, there will be 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK, with this number expected to hit two million by 2051 if no action is taken. Becoming a Dementia Friend is about understanding more about dementia, and being aware of the small things you can do to help people with the condition.
For the third consecutive year, Argos will be continuing its successful partnership with TUI UK, parent company of Thomson and First Choice, under which summer seasonal workers with the travel company can apply for roles in their local Argos store for the winter season.
All applications must be made by visiting www.argoschristmaspresent.co.uk
Notes to Editors:
For regional breakdowns or more information, please contact the Argos Press Office on 0845 120 4365 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Argos is a leading UK digital retailer, offering around 43,000 products through www.argos.co.uk, its growing mobile channels, stores and over the telephone.
Argos continues to be the UK’s largest high street retailer online with around 123m customer transactions a year and 738 million website and app visits in the 12 months to February 2014. Customers can take advantage of Argos’ convenient Check & Reserve service available through its network of 734 stores across the UK and Republic of Ireland.
In the financial year to February 2014, Argos sales were £4.1 billion and it employed some 29,000 people across the business.
Argos is part of Home Retail Group, the UK’s leading home and general merchandise retailer.
Home Retail Group Charity Partnership
- Together Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer Scotland and The Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland are Home Retail Group’s charity partner 2013 – 2015. Home Retail Group comprises Argos, Homebase and Habitat.
- The majority (83%) of people with dementia want to live in their own homes and yet more than one in ten people living with the condition will go unnecessarily into long term care because they don’t have enough support.
- This year, over 225,000 people in the UK will develop dementia. Together Home Retail Group, Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer Scotland and The Alzheimer Society of Ireland will raise millions to support them to stay in their own home and be part of community life for as long as possible.
- The money raised by Argos and Homebase colleagues and customers will fund Singing for the Brain® therapy groups, Dementia Cafes and Dementia Support services around the UK and Ireland.
- You can support our work by calling 0845 678 7678 or visiting www.alzheimers.org.uk/noplacelikehome
Dementia, Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer Scotland and The Alzheimer Society of Ireland
- By 2015, there will be 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK, with this number expected to hit two million by 2051 if no action is taken.
- People can read about living well with dementia at www.alzheimers.org.uk/hometips
- The statistics in this press release are calculated using findings from four Alzheimer’s Society reports – Support.Stay.Save. Dementia UK, Mapping the Dementia Gap and Dementia 2014.
- Dementia can happen to anyone. It is caused by brain diseases; the most common is Alzheimer’s. As the brain shuts down, a person gradually loses the ability to do the things many of us take for granted from enjoying conversations with family or friends to eating or dressing without help. There is currently no cure for dementia. But with the right support, people can live well with dementia.
- Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer Scotland and The Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland champion the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them.
- Alzheimer’s Society is the leading support and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Alzheimer Scotland provides information and support to people with dementia, their carers and families in Scotland and also funds research. The Alzheimer Society of Ireland is the leading dementia specific service provider in Ireland.