WASHINGTON, 2015-1-5 — /EPR Retail News/ — The NRF Foundation, the non-profit arm of the National Retail Federation, is pleased to announce the individuals who have been named to The List of People Shaping Retail’s Future. The 25 individuals selected, ranging from a United States Senator to a teenage fashion designer, represent power players, disruptors, givers, influencers and dreamers in the retail industry. Honorees will be recognized during the NRF Foundation’s Inaugural Gala on January 11, 2015 at Pier Sixty in New York City. The Gala will bring together industry leaders and executives, students, and The List honorees to celebrate the imagination, inspiration and innovation at work in the retail industry today.
“The List is about recognizing the power players, disruptors, givers, influencers and dreamers who are changing the face of retail – many doing so behind the scenes,” said NRF Senior Vice President and Foundation Executive Director Ellen Davis. “Unlike in any other industry, people interact with retail every single day, and these 25 individuals are making today’s innovative, customer-centric and unique shopping experiences possible, collectively making up one of the most impressive groups of professionals in retail.
“We are thrilled to be able to welcome The List honorees at our Gala to celebrate the incredible contributions they have made to our industry,” continued Davis.
After a thorough selection process, 25 individuals were selected in the following categories:
Disruptors: True originals who rock the boat with ideas so crazy, they just might work. These are the people who make you rethink what you thought you knew about retail, opening you up to new possibilities for your customers, your business and your world.
- Adam Brotman, chief digital officer, Starbucks
- Rick J. Caruso, founder and ceo, Caruso Affiliated
- Darrell Cavens, ceo, zulily
- Julia Fowler, co-founder, EDITD
- Jeffery R. Sears, co-founder and ceo, PIRCH
Dreamers: Rising stars who might be light on experience, but their heart, energy, and passion inspire everyone around them. They’re already making waves in their store, company or hometown with their fresh ideas, big dreams and sky-high goals—and lucky for us, they’re just getting warmed up.
- Kirsten Blowers Stuckey, owner, designer, buyer, ShopRiffraff.com
- Jane Dailey, president, co-founder and fashion fairy godmother, Hollywood Fashion Secrets
- Casey Gerald, co-founder and ceo, MBAs Across America
- Isabella Rose Taylor, fashion designer, artist and entrepreneur, ISABELLA ROSE TAYLOR Fashions
Givers: Inspirational change-makers and big-hearted optimists who make retail shine as a force for good. They see a need and use their skills and resources to fill it to the brim, bringing joy and new opportunities to their companies, communities and the whole wide world.
- Greg Buzek, co-founder and donor trustee, Retail Orphan Initiative (also, president IHL Goup)
- Michael Levy, founder and president, Pet Food Express
- Lynn Marmer, group vice president, corporate affairs, The Kroger Co.
- Johnny Morris, founder and ceo, Bass Pro Shops
- Shawn R. Outler, group vice president, leased businesses, vendor collaboration & multicultural business development, Macy’s, Inc.
- BG Gary M. Profit, U.S. Army (Retired), senior director, military programs, Wal-mart Stores Inc.
Influencers: Champions of retail bridge the gap between the industry and the rest of the world. Whether they are a journalist, an activist, an innovator or a business leader, these nominees don’t work in retail—but they’re helping it evolve. They’re passionate, persistent and intelligent, and their work is paving the way for innovative retailers everywhere.
- Tom Buxton, president and ceo, Buxton Co.
- The Honorable Richard J. Durbin, United States Senator for Illinois
- Tonian Hohberg, founder, president and ceo, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising
- David Moin, senior editor, retail, Women’s Wear Daily
- Deena Varshavskaya, founder and ceo, Wanelo
Power Players: Fearless leaders never shy away from what others may see as insurmountable challenges. These top retail executives have more than just elite status—they have vision, passion and heart. Their forward-looking decisions have a ripple effect across the industry, but they’re not afraid to take risks or push boundaries. They guide, inspire, and, most importantly, challenge us to move beyond the status quo.
- Margarita Arriagada, Chief Merchant, SEPHORA, Inc.
- Sona Chawla, president of digital and chief marketing officer, Walgreen Co.
- Jim Gold, president and chief merchandising officer, Neiman Marcus
- J. Paul Raines, ceo, GameStop
- Melissa Reiff, president and coo, The Container Store
The NRF Foundation shapes retail’s future by building awareness of the industry through statistics and stories; developing talent through education, experiences and scholarships; and fostering career growth among people who work in retail. The NRF Foundation is the 501(c)(3) nonprofit arm of the National Retail Federation and is funded in part by generous donations from retail industry supporters. NRF.com/Foundation.