Company Thanks Customers for Generous Participation
Matthews, N.C., 2015-7-7 — /EPR Retail News/ — Harris Teeter announced today that it is donating over $759,000 to the USO and Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP), two organizations committed to supporting our troops and their families. The donation was made possible thanks to generous contributions from Harris Teeter shoppers and valued associates during the Company’s point of purchase donation card campaign called Support Our Troops.
Harris Teeter hosted the donation card campaign throughout the month of May, and shoppers were invited to make $1, $3 or $5 donations to Support Our Troops at checkout. The $759,000 donation announced today brings the amount donated to Support Our Troops since the campaign’s inception in 2012 to over $2.89 million.
The money contributed by Harris Teeter’s shoppers and valued associates will help fund important programs and services for our troops, wounded service members and their families.
It will allow the USO to deliver valuable programs, entertainment and services that make a difference in the lives of service members and their families throughout their journey in the military. Harris Teeter’s contribution helps the USO support the millions of men and women who make up our nation’s military community, through programs, like these:
- Operation Phone Home®, helps keep service men and women connected to their loved ones during deployments. Through this highly requested program, more than 1.4 million calls were made by deployed troops in 2014.
- Warrior and Family programs that address critical resiliency and family reintegration support, with focus on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), suicide prevention and stress management.
- USO Transition 360 Alliance’s Employment Events support active-duty troops, wounded, ill and injured troops, their spouses and caregivers as they transition out of the military and search for new careers. The events focus on resume writing, mock interviews and translating prior military experience into a civilian career.
- The Special Delivery program provides baby showers for military moms-to-be, who have often not experienced a baby shower and are far away from their support network. More than 1,100 military spouses and expectant active-duty mothers have enjoyed this USO program since it began in August 2013.
Specifically, it will help WWP:
- Engage more injured service members, their families, and their communities. WWP’s goal is to ensure more than 70,000 warriors and 11,000 family members registered with our Alumni program are receiving access to our 20 free programs and services.
- Economically empower more injured service members. WWP’s goal is to employ 2,500 warriors through part- or full-time opportunities through the Warriors to Work program.
- Ensure more warriors pursue life goals without the barriers and stigma associated with mental health. WWP’s goal is to serve 3,018 warriors through outdoor rehabilitative retreats in Project Odyssey.
- Encourage more warriors to live healthy and active lives through fun, educational activities. WWP’s goal is to serve more than 12,000 warriors, their families, and caregivers through Physical Health & Wellness programs.
Harris Teeter, along with the USO and WWP, thanks its valued customers and associates who participated in the Support Our Troops campaign.
Please click here to learn more about Support Our Troops and watch a message of thanks from our nonprofit partners.
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors, troops in transition and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, BNSF Railway, Clark Construction Group, LLC, The Coca-Cola Company, JCPenney, Jeep, Johnson & Johnson, Kroger, Northrop Grumman Corporation and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, BIC, The Boeing Company, ConAgra Foods, FedEx, GEICO, Harris Teeter, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation, Procter & Gamble, TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG and Wawa Inc. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this important mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.
About Wounded Warrior Project
The mission of Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) is to honor and empower Wounded Warriors. WWP’s purpose is to raise awareness and to enlist the public’s aid for the needs of injured service members, to help injured servicemen and women aid and assist each other, and to provide unique, direct programs and services to meet their needs. WWP is a national, nonpartisan organization headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida. To get involved and learn more, visit woundedwarriorproject.org.