Offers craft brew bar, a “Carrot Dog,” custom tea blends; retailer unveils loyalty program
LOS ANGELES, 2016-May-25 — /EPR Retail News/ — The first 365 by Whole Foods Market location opens Wednesday, May 25, at 9 a.m. in Los Angeles’ Silver Lake at 2520 Glendale Blvd., following a cake-cutting ceremony with 365 by Whole Foods Market leaders and the community.
Open daily from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., the 28,000-square-foot store offers a thoughtful selection of grab-and-go prepared foods, grocery items, unique venues and retail innovations that streamline the shopping experience for customers seeking convenience and value on high quality products without artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives.
“Whether you’re looking for a quick in-and-out shop for a few items, stocking up for the week, or having a sit down dinner at by CHLOE. with a beer from Allegro’s craft brew bar, you’ll find a blend of innovation and convenience,” said Jeff Turnas, president, 365 by Whole Foods Market. “From the food offerings to the design, we’ve built a foundation on the quality standards you’ve come to expect from Whole Foods Market in a fun new format that’s easy to navigate and focused on value in every department.”
In the large grab-and-go section with an array of prepared foods options, shoppers can order hot dogs, bowls made with quinoa, rice and veggies and pizza from self-serve kiosks. Prepared foods items meet the same quality standards as all products sold in the store. Menu highlights:
- Eclectic hot dogs like the vegan “Carrot Dog” made with a braised carrot, tamarind chutney slaw, cilantro and avocado served on a bun from Los Angeles-based Larder Baking Company and
- Pizza offerings like the vegan veggie made with Kite Hill ricotta and chicken bulgogi with sauce made from Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes.
- Hot and cold bars with rotating items like bibimbap and kimchee fried rice, chicken verde enchiladas and schichimi togorashi brussel
- Soups include West African peanut, Tonkatsu chicken and vegetable soup, chicken Hlelem, and vegan coconut vegetable
- Everyday items like brown rice, beans, tortillas and seasonal salads like cauliflower and radicchio.
“Friends of 365”
- Allegro Coffee craft brew bar – features cold brew coffee, beers on tap and a new spot for coffee or an after-work happy hour. With more than 65 indoor and outdoor seats, the menu has traditional espresso drinks, brewed coffee, loose leaf tea blends, plus wine and local beers on tap, including Los Angeles County-based 101 India Pale Cider, Ballast Point Sculpin, Grapefruit Sculpin and Imperial Stout from San Diego on Draft during opening week. Wines by the glass include AIX Rosé, Criterion Collection Mendoza Malbec and Hedges CMS. Besides serving nitro and Vietnamese nitro cold brew on tap, skilled baristas will brew espresso drinks such as cortados, cappuccinos, Americanos and lattes; shoppers can choose from a selection of rotating pastries and savory items like a spinach feta pinwheel, strawberry oat scone or a pain au chocolate made by James Beard award-winning chef Suzanne Goin’s Los Angeles-based Larder Baking Company. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., seven days a week.
- teaBOT – Customizable tea station teaBOT, offers an efficient self-serve kiosk, allowing customers to create personalized tea blends by choosing from a selection of 18 teas and herbal ingredients.
- by. CHLOE – With a vegan menu and intimate space with 38 seats and a communal dining counter, by CHLOE.’s first Los Angeles outpost offers Silver Lake residents and vegan food enthusiasts a new option for lunch, dinner, weekend brunch or an afternoon snack. The menu features a selection of by CHLOE.’s signature items like the quinoa taco salad, sweet potato mac-and-cheese and ice creams such as “Kale Cookies + Cream” and “Boozy Banana Bourbon” made with Woodford Reserve Bourbon. All plant-based menu items are vegan and kosher. Hours of operation are Monday and Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Wednesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. by. CHLOE opens after Memorial Day.
Offers 5,000 square feet of produce with an extensive selection of organic and conventionally grown fruits and vegetables and “veg valley,” an enclosed area for chilled produce.
- Many items sold by the each and customers can weigh and sticker their own items
- Value priced floral selections at two price points: $5 and $10.
Meat & Sea
Offers nearly 30 ready-to-cook items including chicken, meat, pork, seafood and marinated selections of high-quality meats from animals raised without antibiotics and added hormones. All items are packaged for convenience. Includes:
- Sustainably sourced fresh fillets, value priced, vacuum-packed fish and shellfish, and steaks and marinated options.
- Selection of 100 percent grass-fed organic beef and organic chicken.
- 365 by Whole Foods Market has full knowledge and traceability of all fresh seafood and strives to source local options that meet Whole Foods Market’s strict quality standards.
- All beef, chicken and pork are step-rated, using Global Animal Partnership’s 5-Step® Animal Welfare rating system, and adhere to Whole Foods Market’s stringent quality standards.
Total Pantry (grocery, bakery, bulk, supplements and body care)
From a large selection of salty snacks to baking supplies, supplements and body care, the departments has options for everyday grocery needs.
- An assortment of frozen meals, pet food products and hundreds of 365 Everyday Value™ products.
- A bulk section with grains, flours, nuts, spices and candies available by the pound.
Features an assortment of kombucha and cold pressed juices from Suja, Evolution Fresh, Temple Turmeric and REBBL, plus a curated collection of more than 400 wines, including eco-friendly and biodynamic options, a varied selection of special-occasion wines and fun beverages like sake and sangria. Highlights:
- 365 by Whole Foods Market partnered with Banquet by Delectable, a smartphone app that scans wine labels and provides instant descriptions and ratings for customers seeking wine selections.
- The wide selection of wine is value-oriented; the majority of bottles are priced at or below $20. Shoppers will also find a handful of popular higher-end champagne offerings like Veuve Clicquot, which were thoughtfully selected by buyers.
- Local wines include selections from Mesa Corazon (San Diego), Forces of Nature (Paso Robles) and Alma Rosa (Buellton).
- Thirty-two feet of chilled beer with an assortment of local craft beers, domestic favorites and unique imports. Local beer offerings include Angel City, Smog City, Golden Road, Strand Brewing and 101 Cider House.
- Opening week deals include La Vieille Ferme’s red and white blends and rosé for $6 a bottle, and Red Stripe six packs for $6 each.
- An assortment of yogurt, eggs, milk, including non-dairy alternative milks and yogurts, like refrigerated rice soy, almond, coconut and flax; also many shelf-stable options: almond, soy, rice, quinoa, hemp.
- A frozen section with 124 feet of goodies, from entrees to ice cream, pizzas and more.
- All eggs sold at 365 by Whole Foods Market are cage-free.
The look and feel of the store is streamlined to match its product selection. The Silver Lake location and subsequent stores are designed with convenience and efficiency in mind, to create an easy flow and streamlined customer experience.
- There are limited printed signs, all price tags are digital and customers should be able to see the entire store from where they stand when they walk in.
- The space is accented with blues, reds and yellows, denoting an energetic, fresh vibe that complements the light shades of green and blue in the brand’s logo.
- A colorful and textured piece of art reflective of the neighborhood, “Silver Kale,” by Sebastien Leon Agneessens serves to inspire team members.
- Each 365 by Whole Foods Market store will feature a signature piece of art that reflects the community in which it opens.
- Additional amenities include home delivery via Instacart, free Wi-Fi available in seating areas throughout the store, a bike lock-up section and accessible parking.
My 365 Rewards
The Silver Lake opening coincides with the launch of My 365 Rewards, a 100 percent digital loyalty program offering customers added value and personalized offers, product recommendations and deals based on individual preferences.
- “Gimme 10 Deals” provide 10 percent off products featured on the end caps throughout the store and select items chilled and frozen.
- Digital “Punch Buddy Cards” offer “buy 10 and get one free” on favorite items.
- “Yay for You!” offers complement shoppers’ product preferences.
- Shoppers can sign up online and can use their digital membership card or phone number at checkout.
Opening Day Deals & Happenings
Throughout the store, customers will discover “Flash Finds,” featuring new products, seasonal items or unique offerings available for a limited time. Opening week highlights include Frankie’s Spuntino olive oil, Momofuko Market Ssam sauce, CoolHaus ice cream, Pop Art popcorn and an assortment of hand-selected wines.
Additional grand opening deals include 365 by Whole Foods Market boneless skinless chicken breasts 5-Step® Animal Welfare Step 3 Rated for $3 a pound, seedless watermelon for $3 each, organic grass fed ground beef 5-Step® Animal Welfare Step 4 Rated for $5 a pound and pints of organic blueberries, two for $5.