- BrightFarms recalls packaged produce sold in Giant Food stores due to the potential presence of metal pieces
Alexandria, Virginia, 2017-May-19 — /EPR Retail News/ — BrightFarms is initiating a voluntary recall of packaged produce sold in Giant Food stores due to the potential presence of metal as a result of construction at its Elkwood, Virginia (Culpeper County) greenhouse farm.
The affected BrightFarms branded products are sold at the Giant Landover, Giant Carlisle, Peapod and Martin’s Food Markets in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia and Washington, D.C. Affected produce may also have been distributed via the Capital Area Food Bank.
The recall includes the below salad products packaged in clear, plastic clamshells with best by dates on the package of: 5/22/17, 5/23/17, 5/24/17, 5/25/17, 5/26/17. (Best by dates are located on the label of the package.)
- BrightFarms Baby Spinach (4 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Spring Mix (4 oz. and 8 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Spinach Blend (4 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Baby Kale (3 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Arugula (4 oz. and 8 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Mixed Greens (4 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Baby Romaine (4 oz. and 8 oz. package)
The recall also includes the below basil products, packaged in clear plastic clamshells with best by dates: 5/18/17, 5/19/17, 5/20/17, 5/21/17, 5/22/17, 5/23/17. (Best by dates are located on the label of the package.)
- BrightFarms Basil (.75 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Thai Basil (.75 oz. package)
- BrightFarms Lemon Basil (.75 oz. package)
The recall is limited to products grown at the company’s Elkwood, Virginia farm. BrightFarms products from greenhouses in other regions are not affected.
BrightFarms chose to take this action out of an abundance of caution after discovering that certain produce may have been compromised. Affected retailers have been instructed to remove all affected products from store shelves.
Consumers who have purchased the affected products should discard it or return the product to its place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions are encouraged to call (646) 480-5262 between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST Monday through Friday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Recall.
The quality and safety of our local produce is BrightFarms’ top priority. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our consumers and retail customers.
(please use subject line: Recall)