- Macerich Earns Nareit’s Prestigious Retail ‘leader In The Light’ Award For Fourth Straight Year, Leading Industry In Sustainability
- Macerich Also Achieves #1 GRESB Ranking for North American Retail Sector in 2017, Third Year in a Row
SANTA MONICA, Calif., 2017-Nov-17 — /EPR Retail News/ — Macerich (NYSE: MAC), one of the nation’s leading owners, operators and developers of one-of-a-kind retail properties in top markets, today announced that the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT) has named Macerich 2017 Retail “Leader in the Light” for an unprecedented fourth straight year.
“Earning ‘Leader in the Light’ for the fourth consecutive year, added to other important global and national recognition of our environmental achievements, is a powerful testament to Macerich’s ongoing industry leadership in sustainability,” said Art Coppola, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Macerich. “Our vision and commitment to invest in energy assets including solar, fuel cell, battery storage and water technology – combined with smart practices in utility conservation and water reservation – not only provide strong economic results, but also propel us toward our industry-leading goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2030.”
Other major sustainability awards – including multiple repeat honors – earned by Macerich in 2017 include:
- GRESB: For the third straight year, Macerich achieved the #1 ranking in the North American Retail Sector for 2017, based on scores published by Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
- EPA Green Power Partnership: Macerich again made the Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership list of Top 30 On-Site Generation companies, also for the third consecutive year.
- CDP: Macerich achieved high rankings with CDP for actions to mitigate climate change for the third year in a row.
- BREEAM USA In-use Certification for 10 more properties: This fall, Macerich is set to earn this important green building standard for existing buildings for Danbury Fair, Deptford Mall, FlatIron Crossing, Green Acres Mall, Kierland Commons, Kings Plaza, Queens Center, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Twenty Ninth Street and Tysons Corner Center. Earlier this year, Macerich’s The Oaks merited distinction as the country’s first BREEAM USA In-use certified building.
“Our top properties and top markets, from Santa Monica and Walnut Creek, California, to Portland, Boulder and Northern Virginia, include some of the most forward-thinking and environmentally attuned consumers in the world,” added Coppola. “Leading the retail real estate industry in the critically important area of sustainability is a natural position for Macerich.”
For more information on Macerich’s comprehensive sustainability efforts and impacts, please view the 2016 Sustainability Report.
Macerich, an S&P 500 company, is a fully integrated self-managed and self-administered real estate investment trust, which focuses on the acquisition, leasing, management, development and redevelopment of regional malls throughout the United States.
Macerich currently owns 54 million square feet of real estate consisting primarily of interests in 48 regional shopping centers. Macerich specializes in successful retail properties in many of the country’s most attractive, densely populated markets with significant presence in the Pacific Rim, Arizona, Chicago and the Metro New York to Washington, DC corridor. Additional information about Macerich can be obtained from the Company’s website at www.macerich.com.
SOURCE: Macerich Company