2013 report highlights Kimco’s commitment to energy savings and community involvement
NEW HYDE PARK, New York, 2014-8-5 — /EPR Retail News/ — Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE: KIM) today announced that it has published its inaugural Corporate Responsibility Report. Over a year in the making, this publication provides a comprehensive account of Kimco’s performance on a range of social, environmental, and governance aspects.
In addition to providing the quantitative results for calendar year 2013, Kimco’s Corporate Responsibility Report offers insights into the company’s strategic motivations and approaches to corporate responsibility in areas such as operations, tenants and leasing, communities, employees, and governance. There are five key priorities that guide Kimco’s program, which are to:
1) Openly engage key stakeholders
2) Lead by example in operations
3) Positively influence tenants and partners
4) Enhance Kimco’s communities
5) Build and retain a quality team
“We have been sharing our corporate responsibility efforts on the Kimco blog and through other vehicles for the past three years, but have always felt this type of ad-hoc information sharing should be paired with more formalized reporting,” said Will Teichman, Director of Sustainability at Kimco.
“Ultimately, we believe corporate responsibility creates value for both Kimco and its stakeholders,” said Conor Flynn, Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Investment Officer at Kimco. “Implementing a successful corporate responsibility model requires a conscientious strategy and best-in-class execution in order to create long-term benefits for investors, tenants, employees, and communities.”
Kimco’s environmental achievements for 2013 include:
- A nine percent absolute reduction in same-site direct and indirect energy consumption from 2012 to 2013
- Undertaking 109 sustainable property improvement projects for a total investment of $2.1 million
- Producing 3,545 megawatts per hour in solar energy
- Diverting a quarter of waste (59,549 metric tons) from landfills
- A number of third-party honors, including NAREIT’s 2013 Retail Leader in the Light, which recognizes leadership in sustainability, transparency, and performance
- Investing in employee health and development, including an average of 42 hours of training per employee and several new initiatives focused on wellness and volunteerism
The 30-page Corporate Responsibility Report follows the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, which represent the international gold standard for corporate reporting. The summary report is intended for most audiences and covers the most relevant content for stakeholders. The report appendix is designed as optional supplemental reading for those stakeholders interested in more detailed GRI indicator data on Kimco’s performance.
Access the digital version of the report by clicking here.
Kimco Realty Corp. (NYSE:KIM) is a real estate investment trust (REIT) headquartered in New Hyde Park, New York, that owns and operates North America’s largest portfolio of neighborhood and community shopping centers. As of June 30, 2014, the company owned interests in 840 shopping centers comprising 121 million square feet of leasable space across 41 states, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, and South America. Publicly traded on the NYSE since 1991, and included in the S&P Index, the company has specialized in shopping center acquisitions, development and management for more than 50 years. For further information, please visit www.kimcorealty.com, the company’s blog at blog.kimcorealty.com, or follow Kimco on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kimcorealty.
David F. Bujnicki
Vice President, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications
Kimco Realty Corporation