- Sales up 3.8% and retail profit up 7.4%, in constant currencies
- Adjusted pre-tax profit of £686m, up 0.3%
- Good early progress on the journey to ‘ONE’ Kingfisher
LONDON, 2016-Mar-25 — /EPR Retail News/ — 2015/16 Financial overview:
|% Total Change||% Total Change||% LFL* Change|
|2015/16||2014/15||Reported||Constant currency||Constant currency|
|Adjusted* pre-tax profit||£686m||£684m||+0.3%|
|Adjusted basic EPS||22.0p||21.3p||+3.3%|
|Full year dividend||10.1p||10.0p||+1.0%|
|Lease adjusted ROCE*||12.3%||11.9%||+40bps|
* Throughout this release ‘*’ indicates the first instance of terms defined in Section 5 ‘Glossary’ of this announcement.
- Total adjusted sales in constant currencies up 3.8% (France +1.2%; UK & Ireland +5.6%; Other International +4.8%)
- Retail profit in constant currencies up 7.4% (France (1.6)%; UK & Ireland +18.0%; Other International +6.4%)
- Adjusted pre-tax profit of £686m driven by strong UK profit growth, impacted by £46m adverse foreign exchange movements on the translation of non-sterling retail profits
- Returned £432m of cash to shareholders (£232m dividend; £200m buyback)
ONE Kingfisher highlights:
- Delivered solid progress on our first ‘sharp’ decisions e.g.
- First wave of unifying our ‘core essential’ ranges to land in stores for customers from March 2016
- On track to close c.15% B&Q surplus space by end of FY 2016/17 (65 stores) in over-spaced catchments; exit of leases secured on 40 of the stores
- Unified IT platform accelerated after successful Ireland pilot
- Goods Not for Resale (GNFR*): first wave of unified spend (£350m) progressing well. On track to land FY 2016/17
- Established new leadership team
- Developed detailed 5 year transformation plan focusing on 3 key pillars:
- Unified & unique offer
- Operational efficiency
- Set ambitious 5 year financial targets
- Expected to deliver £500m sustainable annual profit uplift by end of year 5 over and above ‘business as usual’
- Total expected cash cost of £800m (split between capex & P&L)
- Intend to return c.£600m of capital to shareholders over the next 3 years (£50m returned since year end), in addition to the annual ordinary dividend
- Set operational milestones for FY 2016/17
Véronique Laury, Chief Executive Officer, said:
“This has been a very productive and important year. We have delivered a good ‘business as usual’ result with both sales and profit growth in constant currencies, driven by our performance in Poland and the UK, driven largely by Screwfix, and a stable performance in France.
“We have also delivered solid progress on the first sharp decisions announced last year. I am really pleased with the focus and the energy that the team has demonstrated during the year.
“In addition, in January we revealed our ambition and our five year plan. By putting customer needs first we will, by the end of that period, deliver a £500 million sustainable annual profit uplift, over and above ‘business as usual’. It is an ambitious plan. However based on the solid progress so far, and the competence and enthusiasm of our colleagues, we feel very confident in our ability to deliver.”
Karen Witts, Chief Financial Officer, said:
“We have set ambitious and clear five year financial targets, which will drive a considerable increase in the value of our business for shareholders. We are tracking our progress against our financial and operational milestones, and we will update as we progress.
“Our balance sheet remains strong, enabling us to continue to invest in the business and in the transformation, whilst also returning surplus capital to shareholders, in addition to the ordinary annual dividend.
“In the short term, the fundamentals of the UK economic backdrop remain positive, although we remain cautious on the outlook for France. The outlook for the wider global economy remains uncertain, and the impact of the outcome of the UK EU referendum is unknown.”
|2015/16||2014/15||% Change Reported|
|Statutory pre-tax profit||£512m||£644m||(20.5)%|
|Statutory post-tax profit||£412m||£573m||(28.1)%|
Investor Relations Director
+44 (0) 20 7644 1029
+44 (0) 20 7644 1030
+44 (0) 20 7404 5959
Further copies of this announcement can be downloaded from www.kingfisher.com or viewed on the Kingfisher IR iPad App available for free at the Apple App store. We can be followed on Twitter @kingfisherplc.
Kingfisher American Depositary Receipts are traded in the US on the OTCQX platform:
(OTCQX: KGFHY) http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/KGFHY/quote