- 47 per cent of gardeners plant on patios and balconies, as living in apartments overtakes houses [i]
- 58 per cent of gardeners want to grow own crops
Bradford, England, 2016-Apr-27 — /EPR Retail News/ — Morrisons is looking to transform the face of Britain’s gardens with the launch of the UK’s first ever potted ‘Ketchup and Chips’ plant, which will feature in stores from 25th April.
Answering the prayers of chips fans across the country, the incredible multi-tasker grows fresh tomatoes and potatoes in one pot at the same time. Above the ground the plant will produce an abundance of cherry tomatoes, while white potatoes will grow below.
The move comes as Britain’s gardens are getting smaller as an increasing number of people in the UK are living in flats and apartments. Research has revealed that 47 per cent of households now only have access to a small balcony and 11 per cent have no garden area at all.
However, green fingered Brits aren’t letting a lack of space prevent them from growing their own food and plants. People are adapting their gardening habits to suit their living space, with demand for compact potted plants soaring (10% up year-on-year). The growing popularity of organic produce has also led 58 per cent of people to want to ‘grow their own’.
The innovative ‘veg plot in a pot’ can be grown inside and out – in a large patio pot or 40 litre bag. Ketchup & Chips is entirely natural, expertly crafted together by hand with no genetic modification involved. When planted in late April, each plant can yield hundreds of sweet tomatoes from July to October, whilst simultaneously harvesting a hearty crop of potatoes – which can be boiled, mashed, roasted or made into chips, until late in the season.
Morrisons gardens expert, Glen Cooper said: “Many of our customers are green fingered. But over recent years we’ve witnessed the frustration of shoppers who have less and less space to grow their own. This new plant is just the solution for our shrinking gardens – and will enable everyone to follow their produce from plant pot to plate!”
The Ketchup and Chips Plant will be available in Morrisons 101 Garden Centres UK-wide from 25th April, for a limited time only and will cost £5. Also available during this time will be the Egg and Chips Plant, another unique hybrid plant that grows aubergines and potatoes, costing £5. For more information or to find your local store please visit morrisons.com
Morrisons Perfect Chips
- 1 kg potatoes from your Ketchup and Chips plant
- 1 litre vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Coarse salt
- Peel and rinse 1kg Maris Piper potatoes from your Ketchup and Chips plant and cut into 1.5cm chips. Soak for 5 mins in cold water, drain, then add to a deep pan of cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 mins, until just tender. Drain, allow to cool completely, then chill in the fridge for 1 hr.
- Heat 1 litre vegetable oil in a fryer to 120ºC. Add the chips to the basket, being careful not to overcrowd (you will need to do more than one batch). Blanch for 10 mins, or until cooked through but not coloured. Remove, drain and pat dry on kitchen paper. Chill in the fridge for 1 hr.
- Heat the oil to 160ºC. Cook the chips in the basket for 3-5 mins or until crisp and golden brown. Drain onto kitchen paper. Sprinkle with salt and vinegar if you wish and serve.
Morrisons Fresh Tomato Salsa
- 4 large vine tomatoes from your Ketchup and Chips plant, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- Discovery Foods Red or Green Jalapeños, to taste
- Salt and black pepper
- Mix together all ingredients and serve as an accompaniment to all your favourite Mexican dishes or as a fresh dip with tortilla chips.
For all media enquiries call 0845 611 5111Available 24 hours