CF Champions provides an online outlet for CF patients and caregivers to share their experiences of navigating the journey together
DEERFIELD, Ill., 2016-May-23 — /EPR Retail News/ — In support of patients, caregivers and others affected by cystic fibrosis (CF), Walgreens is launching CF Champions: Navigating the Journey, Together during The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s National CF Awareness Month.
Walgreens has teamed up with four Champions to share their stories through the new platform, including their experiences living with the disease and ideas for meeting challenges such as prevention of infection, nutrition and rigorous treatment regimens. The program aims to support patients and caregivers as they navigate their journey of living with CF.
The CF Champion Ambassadors were selected because they write about day-to-day life from differing perspectives yet share the common challenge of living successfully with cystic fibrosis. The Champions are:
- Mary and Peter Frey of The Frey Life. Mary was diagnosed with CF at 7 weeks old. She and her husband, Peter, manage her CF as a team. Through their “vlog,” or video blog, they “aim to show the ups and downs of everyday life with a chronic illness and encourage and inspire others.”
- Kristen Chidsey of A Mind “Full” Mom. Kristen was diagnosed with CF at age 31. Upon learning of her diagnosis, she also learned that both of her children have CF as well. She is their CF role model. Kristen is a food and restaurant editor, and writes a blog about recipes, sticking to a budget, healthy living and family.
- Laura Boyer of Mama Pure. Laura is the caregiver for her son, who was diagnosed with CF at 8 days old. She views the diagnosis as her family’s new normal and does not allow it to disrupt their family or prevent her son from living fully. Laura, who normally blogs about stay-at-home motherhood and baby products, will focus some future blog entries on her experiences as a CF mom and caregiver.
- Rachel Young of Jet-Setting Mom. Rachel’s daughter was diagnosed with CF at 8 months old. The family continues to travel and enjoy their time together by bringing their CF treatment routine along for the ride. Rachel writes a blog about travel destinations, services and products.
Gerald Gleeson, group vice president, Walgreens enterprise specialty, said, “In the community of people involved with cystic fibrosis – patients, caregivers, health care professionals, researchers – there are many champions. We have selected some whose lives are touched by CF and who are also good storytellers, people who can share insights into the lives of families touched by this condition. We hope we can all learn something from them.”
By spurring positive conversation about managing their disease, CF Champions hope to provide motivation, inspiration and the latest best practices. The program website also offers trusted resources that simplify the medication access and adherence processes, and ultimately support patients’ desires to live happier, healthier lives.
About Cystic Fibrosis
According to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, CF is a life-altering genetic disease which primarily affects the respiratory and digestive systems1. People with CF carry a defective gene which causes a loss of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator protein activity leading to a buildup of thick, sticky mucus. Presently, there are approximately 30,000 children and adults living with CF in the U.S.2
About Walgreens Cystic Fibrosis Services
Cystic Fibrosis Services Inc. is a Walgreens Alliance Pharmacy that provides specialized care to people living with CF. At Walgreens, we understand every journey is different and every moment is important, which is why we go beyond simply providing medication to offer a compassionate, holistic approach to care. Services include:
- Pharmacists with specialized knowledge and training in CF
- A wide range of CF medications and products, including hard to find medications
- The ease of ordering a refill online 24/7
- The ability to track your prescription order, view your account balance and even pay online 24/7
- A dedicated team that advocates on your behalf to access the CF medications you need
- Experienced case managers who can research insurance coverage options so you understand your plan
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com), one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 8 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,173 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens digital business includes Walgreens.com, drugstore.com, Beauty.com, SkinStore.com and VisionDirect.com. More than 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other retail clinic services.
1 Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Web site. https://www.cff.org/Living-with-CF/Treatments-and-Therapies/Airway-Clearance/Basics-of-Lung-Care/. Accessed December 2, 2015.
2 Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Patient registry annual data report 2013.https://www.cff.org/2013_CFF_Patient_Registry_Annual_Data_Report.pdf. Published October, 2013. Accessed November 3, 2015.