ROCHESTER, N.Y., 2016-Sep-05 — /EPR Retail News/ — As back-to-school season gets underway, Wegmans Food Markets is helping busy families take lunchboxes to the next level with the introduction of five fresh organic sandwich breads, all made with care by bakers in Wegmans’ own bakeshop in Rochester, N.Y.
The sliced breads are White Made with Oatmeal, 100% Whole Wheat, Honey Cracked Wheat, 27 Grains and Seeds, and Sprouted Multigrain. Each are priced at $5 for a full loaf and $3 for a half loaf. Half-loaf sizes are convenient for smaller families and make mixing and matching easy.
Customers at all Wegmans stores can try each bread with different lunch-friendly pairings during an Organic Bread and Jammin’ Launch Party from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 10.
Earlier this year, Wegmans invited select customers in Pittsford, N.Y. and Leesburg, Va. to try the new breads and share their feedback with the company. While parents relished the freshness and simple ingredients, school-age critics approved of another key attribute: taste.
Each delicious loaf is packed with good nutrition, according to Wegmans Nutritionist Kirby Branciforte, RD.
“These breads are made with heart-healthy whole grains and they have two to three grams of fiber and four or five grams of protein in each slice, depending on the variety. The protein and fiber help stave off hunger between meals, which helps us remain focused at school or work,” said Branciforte. “Many people don’t realize that grains can offer protein, and that getting some protein at each meal is better than eating a day’s worth at dinner.”
Wegmans nutritionists recommend building a better lunchbox with these ideas to keep the lunch menu from getting stale. Warning: these combinations may be the envy of the cafeteria.
- White Made with Oatmeal Bread: PB&J, with Wegmans organic peanut butter and strawberry Jammin’ fruit spread. Try it with diced peaches and pears and animal cookies.
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread: BLT with Wegmans organic uncured turkey bacon, mayonnaise, leaf lettuce, and plum tomatoes. Try it with apple wedges and blueberry Greek yogurt.
- Honey Cracked Wheat Bread: Wegmans organic uncured fully cooked ham, sliced white American cheese, mayonnaise, and green leaf lettuce. Try it with Himalayan salt popcorn and a banana.
- 27 Grains and Seeds Bread: Spread the bread with Wegmans organic yellow mustard, and add organic turkey breast, mild cheddar cheese, and kosher dill pickles. Try it with Get Dippin’ multigrain tortilla chips and mild salsa.
- Sprouted Multigrain Bread: Spread roasted red pepper hummus or roasted garlic hummus on the bread and layer with red cabbage, sliced red radishes, and Romaine lettuce. Try it with baby cut carrots and a fruit strip.
“For years we’ve offered organic sandwich ingredients like deli meats, cheeses, condiments and spreads in Wegmans brand. Our customers asked for organic sandwich bread to accompany those items and it was a natural next step,” said Wegmans Bakery Category Merchant Jerritt Branagan. “We invested in new equipment and training, sourced organic ingredients, developed new recipes and created a dedicated organic space in our bakeshop, certified by Natural Food Certifiers (NFC). We’re proud to finally add these breads to our growing lineup of more than 3,000 organic products.”
In addition to the new organic loaves, Wegmans will continue to carry their conventionally-produced sandwich breads, sold under the Food You Feel Good About banner, meaning they contain no artificial colors, sweeteners, or preservatives.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 90-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts. The family-owned company, recognized as an industry leader and innovator, is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2016. Wegmans has been named one of the ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ by FORTUNE magazine for 19 consecutive years, ranking #4 in 2016.
Wegmans media relations coordinator
Source: Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.