Clifton Park, N.Y., 2017-Jul-03 — /EPR Retail News/ — The Golub Corporation cut the ribbon today (June 27, 2017 ) on its latest Market 32 that was built from the ground up in Clifton Park, N.Y., which serves as another showcase of the chain’s contemporary new supermarket concept.
“Market 32 is a contemporary, food-focused store that reflects what our customers have told us they want in a modern and convenient shopping experience,” said Scott Grimmett, Golub Corporation president and CEO. “We continue to evolve our Market 32 brand, incorporating the offers, enhanced service and technology that are resonating most with today’s customers.”
Located at the corner of Route 146 and Vischer Ferry Road, this Market 32 is nearly twice the size of the Price Chopper that was formerly located on this lot and is the centerpiece of a redesigned Clifton Park Plaza and a new parking area that is being developed by Nigro Companies. This is the second Market 32 located in Clifton Park; Market 32 in Clifton Shoppers World, further east on Route 146, opened in 2015.
Golub Corporation Executive Chairman Neil Golub, President and CEO Scott Grimmett, Vice Chairman Jerry Golub, and Store Manager Ed Gendron, NYS Assemblywoman Mary Beth Walsh, Deputy Chief of Staff to Senator Jim Tedisco Christopher Rhodes, Senior Constituent Representative to Congressman Paul Tonko Cora Schroeter, Clifton Park Town Supervisor Phil Barrett, Developer John Nigro of Nigro Companies, President of MLB Construction Jim Dawsey, President of the Southern Saratoga Chamber Pete Bardunias and other elected officials and civic and business leaders joined hundreds of local residents for an official ribbon-cutting ceremony. The American flag was raised by members of VFW Post #1498.
This is the 15th Market 32 to open since the company announced its plans to develop the new brand across the majority of its stores. To date, 11 of the company’s Price Chopper stores have been converted to Market 32,
while four have been built from the ground up in Sutton, Mass. (opened in October 2015); Oxford, Conn. (in September 2016), Fort Edward, N.Y. (in January 2017), and Clifton Park. Several conversions are currently in motion
across the chain’s six-state footprint in East Greenbush, N.Y.; Burlington and Brattleboro, VT; and Worcester, Mass. The Golub Corporation also expects to break ground on a new Market 32 in Maynard, Mass. this summer.
The look and feel of Market 32 is distinctively more modern than Price Chopper, though many of the differences are subtle. Marked by open space, a décor filled with soft earth tones and product-focused displays, murals and lighting, the brand emphasizes convenient, ready-to-eat foods; fresh, handcrafted and locally grown, produced and manufactured products; and intuitive product/department adjacencies (e.g., greeting cards next to the
“Our newest Clifton Park Market 32 is a grocery store for all generations. And while we remain focused on quality, value, and a high standard of service, we’ve enhanced the shopping experience with modern conveniences and a host of signature categories, items and offers – from customized prepared foods to drive-thru pharmacies,patisseries, cafés equipped with WIFI and growler stations that raise the bar in meeting the needs of today’s
customers,” said Grimmett.
The 52,400-square-foot store employs nearly 160 full- and part-time teammates, reflecting a significant increase in the size of the workforce, which has also become a signature of the chain’s new brand. Some of the
departmental features of the new Clifton Park Market 32 include:
• A Center Store (Grocery and General Merchandise) department features PICS – Market 32’s exclusive line of high-quality, value-priced products; a customizable ‘pick 24’ on single-serve PICS brand coffee pods; an expanded craft beer section with a ‘Pick 6’ and large variety of local N.Y. favorites; locally sourced products (both dry packaged and dairy); natural and organic offerings integrated into their relative categories; and an expansive gluten-free section.
• A full-service, Fresh Meat Department offers an extensive variety of high-quality Certified Angus Beef steaks and roasts, including specialty restaurant cuts such as the tomahawk rib steak and bone-in filet. Our exclusive
Chiappetti brand offers 100% Grass Fed & Grass Finished Antibiotic Free beef along with all natural and hormone-free lamb and veal. Convenient, value-added offerings include panko-encrusted cutlets and marinated meats, along with the option to season or marinate any of our USDA Grade chicken, beef and pork products for free by our in-store expert butchers.
• A wide-ranging, colorful and Fresh Produce Department features an abundance of unique items such as heirloom tomatoes, fresh bunches of herbs, a wide variety of exotic mushrooms and a large selection of many different types of peppers. Market 32 is dedicated to finding local providers for produce (as possible, given growing seasons) and is committed to an expanded assortment of organic produce. Additionally, customers will find an assortment of prepared, ready-to-cook and grab-n-go fruit and vegetables.
• The Fresh and Healthy Seafood Department offers the most extensive assortment of salmon found in a supermarket, including wild caught, farm raised, Scottish, cedar planked, marinated portions, stuffed pinwheels, and a delectable, exclusive New Zealand King Salmon – all in all, more than three dozen varieties from which to choose. The extensive fin fish selection includes sea bass, halibut portions, tilapia, haddock; the varieties of shellfish include lobster, clams, shrimp and crab. Fresh seafood selections fried or steamed to order, with classic sides such as coleslaw and French fries, top a menu of full prepared meals, while selections dredged in free seasoning rubs, or those that have been breaded or stuffed offer simple, ready-to-cook
• A Fresh Deli Department features quality sliced meats and cheeses that help to create healthy meal solutions, such as those from McKenzie Natural Artisan Deli, whose offerings include turkeys sourced from local family farms, raised with no antibiotics and no growth hormones, and hams with no nitrates.
• An expanded Specialty Cheese Department features Market 32’s signature Cheese Shop with more than 200 varieties of unique cheeses, including those from local makers. Our knowledgeable cheese mongers are there to help customers sample and select the right cheese every time, whether for entertaining or snacking.
• Convenient, Delicious and Healthy Prepared Foods are available throughout the store so shoppers can bring home full meals or supplement meals without sacrificing freshness or value. Offerings include a full-service
Starbucks; a made-to-order salad station where shoppers can customize their salad; classic NYC-style deli sandwiches; fresh-baked Corner to Corner and Tavoletta pizzas; a variety of hot and cold soups; an in-store smoker that slow cooks ribs, brisket, chicken and pulled pork with Market 32’s signature rub; sushi and Aburi (toasted sushi) made fresh in store; Grab & Go and Heat & Eat meals; and, a unique Chef’s Case that offers entrees and sides, giving shoppers the opportunity to customize their meal combinations.
• A colorful and aromatic Floral Department with flowers to brighten any room or occasion greets Market 32 shoppers as they enter the store. As the largest florist in the Northeast, Market 32 has a wide array of assorted fresh flowers and plants. With custom design services, Market 32 floral experts can help customers design the perfect flowers for all of life’s occasions.
• A warm and inviting Bakery Department provides delicious store-made breads and desserts, signature Vienna breads and decadent individual deserts such as fruit tarts and cupcakes, as well as dessert and special
Throughout Market 32, customers will notice a commitment to supporting local manufacturers and growers, sourcing authentic imports, and expanding varieties of gluten-free, organic and natural products.
“We’re very proud of this store and pleased to continue to invest in and be a part of this community,” said Grimmett.
About The Golub Corporation:
Based in Schenectady, NY, the Golub Corporation owns and operates 136 Price Chopper and Market 32 grocery stores in New York, Vermont, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The American owned, family managed company prides itself on longstanding traditions of innovative food merchandising, leadership in community
service, and cooperative employee relations. Golub’s 20,000 teammates collectively own more than 44% of the company’s privately held stock, making it one of the nation’s largest privately held corporations that is predominantly employee-owned. For additional information, visit www.market32.com
The Golub Corporation/Market32
Jonathan M. Pierce,APR
Source: Price Chopper and Market 32