PLANO, TX, 2014-10-2— /EPR Retail News/ — In support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, JCPenney is inviting its customers to “Give Breast Cancer the Boot” this October by rounding up their purchases to the nearest dollar and donating the difference to JCPenney Cares. Customer contributions donated to JCPenney Cares will directly fund programs focused on breast cancer education, research, prevention and early detection. JCPenney Cares partners include The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® (BCRF) and The National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.® (NBCF).
To promote its round up initiative, JCPenney will be featuring print ads showcasing breast cancer survivors. Featuring taglines such as “this October, let’s save more than pennies” the ads encourage customers to round up their pennies for “change” and are set to appear in top lifestyle and entertainment magazines this month.
“Many of us have had our lives touched in some way by breast cancer, which is why we felt it was very important to connect with our customers on this issue by showcasing the real faces of breast cancer,” said Debra Berman, chief marketing officer for JCPenney. “We’re focused on showing customers that by simply rounding up their purchases at JCPenney, they can help in providing critical support in the fight against breast cancer. Through their donations, they are making a difference for someone’s mother, sister, wife, daughter…and possibly for themselves.”
The “Give Breast Cancer the Boot” campaign will also be promoted through social, email, radio and weekly circulars, along with mobile initiatives on Foursquare and Shopkick. Additionally, store associates will promote the campaign with a special “Make Change With Your Change: Give Breast Cancer the Boot” button on their lanyards. In exchange for their support, customers will receive a pink ribbon sticker indicating, “I rounded up to boot breast cancer.”
Something to Pink About
Customers can also show their support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month through various merchandise and services available at JCPenney this October:
• From Oct. 11-18, jcp salons will host “Cuts for Hope,” donating $1 up to $100,000 from every hair cut or trim to the breast cancer program at City of Hope, a leading research and treatment center for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
• Additionally throughout the month, jcp salons will be offering free temporary pink highlights with a salon service of $32 or more and will also carry pink breast cancer awareness products from Sebastion®, CHI® and more.
• Customers can also find specially designed breast cancer awareness hoodies, fleece pants and tees from Made for Life™, along with various breast cancer awareness accessories, watches and fine and fashion jewelry items such as a 3-pc or 6-pc silicone bracelet set, silver tone ribbon stud earrings, ribbon bangle or crystal accent watch, silver tone key ring and a breast cancer awareness pink ribbon hope kit.
• For every Comfort Revolution pink Hydraluxe™ gel cooling pillow sold, Comfort Revolution will donate $5 to BCRF.
• Jodee, Inc. will be making a $1 donation to be divided between BCRF and NBCF for every online purchase of Jodee® post-mastectomy bras and accessories sold at jcp.jodee.com.
• JCPenney will also be offering a specially designed pink “Knots for Hope” men’s tie and bow tie benefiting Susan G. Komen® by vendor MMG Corporation. In connection with its 2013-2014 Knots for Hope program, MMG has made a minimum donation of $40,000 to Komen regardless of sales.
Furthermore, associates in JCPenney’s Home Office will be participating in a “Give Breast Cancer the Boot” Design Challenge. Designers will be tasked with transforming a standard examination gown into either a chic, stylish functional examination garment or a custom, one- of-kind “couture” design to be displayed at the Sue A. deMille Women’s Diagnostic Center at Texas Presbyterian Hospital in Plano, Texas. The gown submissions will be showcased at a breast cancer awareness fashion show at the retailer’s Home Office on Oct. 23 as judges determine the top two winning gowns.
For related images, video and b-roll visit www.jcpnewsroom.com.
JCPenney Media Relations
972-431-3400 or email@example.com
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP), one of the nation’s largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, is dedicated to fitting the diversity of America with unparalleled style, quality and value. Across approximately 1,060 stores and at jcpenney.com, customers will discover a broad assortment of national, private and exclusive brands to fit all shapes, sizes, colors and wallets. For more information, please visit jcpenney.com.