Whole Foods Market’s travel company offers new roster of active foodie tours
AUSTIN, Texas, 2014-10-24— /EPR Retail News/ — Whole Journeys, Whole Foods Market’s travel company, announces the first 12 itineraries for travel in 2015. From Italian cooking lessons with locals and hiking island paths in Croatia to harvesting grapes in Argentina and tasting artisan goat cheese in Aspen, these trips offer hands-on culinary encounters and a range of activity levels.
Whole Journeys developed two categories for different types of travelers. “Active Foodie” embraces those who enjoy walking, hiking or biking while they explore the distinctive culture and traditions of food in each locale, while the new “Food Forward” category is perfect for travelers who prefer to focus on learning and taking part in the local food traditions.
“Our small team of seasoned local guides and global foodies has created a fantastic roster for 2015 where we can share the stories, rituals and customs of a place through the lens of food,” said Kathy Dragon, executive director of Whole Journeys. “We are passionate about building connections for our guests between the food they eat and the people and places it comes from, creating a more personal tie to our global community.”
Led by local guides, tours range from three to 12 days and accommodate a maximum of 16 guests. The small group size allows for spontaneous experiences and the chance to visit the homes and small businesses of families and food artisans. The prices range from $1,300 for domestic trips to an average of $4,200 for international destinations that offer close encounters with the landscape and personalities in each place. Travelers will stay overnight in unique properties ranging from boutique hotels to family-run farms to mountain huts.
Beginning in February and running throughout 2015, the following destinations are the first available for booking:
• India: A Taste of Northern India through Family Recipes (Food Forward) – new in 2015
• Italy: Amalfi Coast Odyssey (Active Foodie) – new in 2015
• Argentina: Buenos Aires and the Wine Regions (Active Foodie) – new in 2015
• Sardinia: Island Secrets of a Long Life (Active Foodie)
• Turkey: Turkish Delights (Active Foodie)
• Croatia: Coastal Croatia (Active Foodie)
• Emilia Romagna: Food Lovers Paradise (Food Forward)
• Basque Country: Wine, Coast and Camino (Active Foodie) – new in 2015
• Tuscany: Create the Taste of Tuscany (Food Forward)
• The Savory Trails of Tuscany (Active Foodie)
• Dolomites: Dolce Vita in the Dolomites (Active Foodie)
• Aspen Sampler: 3 Day Hiking and Tasting Tour (Active Foodie)
• Recipes and Traditions of Southern France (Food Forward) – new in 2015
Levels of exertion and food experiences vary, but all itineraries are designed to support local communities, respect the environment and encourage travelers to interact with one another and the destinations’ food producers. Whole Journeys was launched in 2013 and grew from a vision to bring the values, the passion, and the taste of Whole Foods Market beyond the stores. More destinations for the 2015 calendar year will be added in coming months.
Dragon will personally escort many of the departures. As a 20-year veteran of the experiential travel industry, Dragon has guided more than 3,000 active adults on small group tours worldwide, from Provence to Patagonia, Croatia to China and everywhere in between. Prior to leading Whole Journeys, she owned The Dragon’s Path, a travel company focused on cultural walking adventures.
Visit WholeJourneys.com or call 1-888-833-6177 for more information, dates and available itineraries.