FORT LEE, Va., 2015-3-24 — /EPR Retail News/ — April is Month of the Military Child and commissaries are celebrating with giveaways and savings for the entire family. “Children in military households face unique challenges because of the demands of military life,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA’s sales director. “So, at the Defense Commissary Agency, we want to acknowledge them and do all we can to provide their families with great values for their commissary benefit.”
DeCA’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries in April to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- Commissaries worldwide will use Month of the Military Child to educate shoppers on the importance of encouraging their children toward healthier lifestyles. The “5-2-1-0” message remains the call to action: Eat five fruits and vegetables every day; limit recreational screen time to two hours or less daily; get one hour or more of physical activity every day and avoid all drinks with sugar. Your local commissary may have commissary tours highlighting the nutritional value of fresh fruits and vegetables along with recipes, food sampling and giveaways. Check with your local commissary to find out when your child’s event takes place.
- Ten camps, 30-day dash, two ways to win! From March 19 through April 8, almost 100 commissaries worldwide will have a chance to win a ProCamp for their installation. Winning installations will host a free, two-day football camp for military children in kindergarten through eighth grade. At these camps, participants will learn from and play with some of their favorite NFL players like Andre Roberts (Washington Redskins), Cortez Allen (Pittsburgh Steelers), Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals), Steve Smith (Baltimore Ravens) and Rob Gronkowski (New England Patriots) among others. Installation consideration to qualify for a camp is based on their commissary sales of select items such as Tide, Bounty, Charmin, Pantene, Crest and Gillette, and customers can vote for their installation at https://thefamilyunitpg.com.
- Overseas Service Corporation and their partners present the “Fisher House Theme Event”, a stateside-only sale to heighten awareness and raise money for The Fisher House Organization. The Fisher House is a “home away from home” for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and Veterans Affairs medical centers. Look for store displays from participating manufacturers.
- Keebler’s 16th Annual Hollow Tree promotion features savings on discounted Keebler products April 9 through May 6 at all stores. Customers will receive a coupon for free milk with the purchase of four packages of Keebler cookies. Free cookies and milk samples will be offered at most stores. Look for Ernie and the Keebler elves on Keebler snacks displays in your local commissary.
- Small Planet Foods is sponsoring a stateside organic food event called “Live Green Together.” From April 9 to April 22, product sampling and great savings through coupons on Cascadian Farm, Muir Glen, Larabar and Food Should Taste Good items such as ready-to-eat cereal, granola bars, salsa, pasta sauce healthy snacks and frozen fruit will be available.
“As we honor our military children, don’t miss out on these opportunities to save even more,” Russ said. “For everyone in the family, the commissary is always worth the trip.”
Note: For photos related to ProCamps, please visit our Flickr page.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. Shoppers save an average of more than 30 percent on their purchases compared to commercial prices – savings amounting to thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
(804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773