LONDON, 2015-4-13 — /EPR Retail News/ — Marks and Spencer Group plc (“M&S”) today announces the appointment of Richard Solomons to its Board as a Non-Executive Director. He will take up his appointment on 13 April 2015 and will also join the Nomination Committee at that time.
Richard is currently Chief Executive Officer of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG). Richard joined IHG (and its predecessor and affiliated companies) in 1992 and worked in a number of senior roles, including operational, across the business until his appointment to the Board of IHG as Chief Financial Officer in 2003. He was appointed CEO in July 2011. Richard will bring strong commercial, financial, consumer, branding and global experience to the M&S Board.
Commenting on the appointment, Robert Swannell, Chairman of Marks & Spencer said: “We are delighted to welcome Richard Solomons to the Board of M&S. He is a CEO with a proven track record in a global consumer business and will bring a wealth of relevant experience.”
Richard Solomons said: “I am looking forward to joining the Board of M&S and contributing to the continuing development of this iconic, innovative and trusted brand.”
– Ends –
For more information, please call:
M&S Corporate PR 0208 718 1919
Notes to Editors:
- Richard has been Chief Executive Officer of IHG since July 2011. IHG is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of brands including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn® Hotels & Resorts and Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts. IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns over 4,800 hotels and more than 710,000 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries. Over 350,000 people work across IHG’s hotels and corporate offices worldwide.
- Richard has led the continued growth of IHG, including the launch of the company’s two newest brands, HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts, the first international hotel brand tailored for the domestic Chinese customer and EVEN Hotels, the first mainstream wellness hotel brand. He has also overseen the re-launch of IHG’s loyalty scheme as IHG Rewards Club, the world’s first and largest hotel loyalty programme with over 82 million members worldwide.
- Prior to his appointment as CEO, Richard served as Chief Financial Officer and Head of Commercial Development at IHG. He was integral in shaping and implementing IHG’s asset-light strategy, which has helped the business grow significantly since it was formed in 2003 as well as supporting the return of £10.4 billion to shareholders. He was also responsible for the Group’s financial affairs and investor relations. In 2008, he served as Interim President of IHG’s Americas business.
- Richard first joined Bass PLC (later Six Continents PLC), the company from which IHG emerged, in June 1992. He subsequently held a number of senior roles in the business including Chief Operating Officer of the Americas Hotels division, before being appointed Finance Director of the company in March 2003. In this role he oversaw the separation of IHG from Six Continents later in 2003 and then the disposal of its 100% holding in the soft drinks business, Britvic plc in late 2005.
- Prior to joining IHG Richard worked in Investment banking for seven years with Hill Samuel Bank, based in New York and London.
- Richard is a member of the Executive Committee of the World Travel and Tourism Council, a member of the Industry Real Estate Financing Authority Advisory Council and a Governor of the Aviation and Travel Industry Group of the World Economic Forum.