Landover, Md., 2016-Aug-01 — /EPR Retail News/ — To help families stay healthy and keep kids fueled during the busy summer season, Giant Food of Landover, Md. offers tips to build a better lunch for camps and other summer activities now – or for school lunches in the fall. With guidance from ChooseMyPlate.gov, Giant’s licensed in-store nutritionists have prepared five tips, illustrated in a new infographic, that can serve as a reminder to keep healthy choices top of mind when feeding your family.
“Parents are looking for easy ways to pack healthier lunches for their children,” said Lisa Coleman, Lead Nutritionist, Giant Food of Landover, Md. “Giant’s nutritionists offer tips to help busy families on the go to save time, save money, and eat well”
Follow these tips to build a better lunch:
- Choose a grain. Whole grain bread, wraps, crackers, pasta, and cereal are all nutritious options.
- Add a protein. These can include deli turkey, chicken, tuna salad, a hard-boiled egg, nut or seed butters, beans or hummus.
- Include a fruit and veggie. Add color to your child’s lunchbox with carrot sticks, tomatoes, cucumber slices, apples, oranges or raisins. Each color provides a different health benefit.
- Including a dairy food or dairy alternative such as low fat cheese, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or milk.
- Healthy lunch boxes can include something sweet, too. Include a small treat, sticker or note on a napkin to brighten your child’s day and create excitement at lunchtime.
For fast, fresh and easy meal ideas, pick up the latest edition of Giant’s Savory magazine during your next trip to your local store. Families are also encouraged to reach out to their local Giant nutritionist for individualized nutrition recommendations and meal planning:
Lisa Coleman, MS, RD, LDN
York Road Giant
Amanda G. Barnes, RD, LDN
Chain Bridge Corner Giant
Roxana Ehsani, RD, LDN, MS
O St. Marketplace Giant
Washington, DC firstname.lastname@example.org
(202) 238- 0184
Emily Craft, RDN, CSP, LDN
Severna Park Mall Giant
Severna Park, MD
Nina El-Chebli, RD, LDN
Shoppes at Traville Giant
Leslie Jefferson, MS, CNS, LDN
Glenridge Center Giant
Min Krishnamurthy, MS, RD, LDN
Chatham Station Giant
Ellicott City, MD
Min.email@example.com (410) 696-1309
Natalie Kannan, RD
Greenbriar Shopping Center Giant
For more information on health and wellness, visit giantfood.com/live-well
. For recipe and meal inspiration, visit Giant’s Pinterest.
If interested in an interview with one of Giant’s nutritionists about building a better lunch for back to school, please contact Jamie Miller at (301) 341-8776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Giant Food, LLC
Giant Food, LLC, headquartered in Landover, Md., operates 169 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, and employs approximately 20,000 associates. Included within the 169 stores are 160 full-service pharmacies. Giant is owned by Ahold USA, Inc.
Source: Giant Food, LLC