GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., 2014-4-15 — /EPR Retail News/ — As the annual kick-off to Spring approaches and even though consumers are watching their spending, Meijer is still expecting strong sales for Easter basket goodies including candy, toys, and flowers. Customers are finding fun ways to personalize Easter décor and treats for their families.
- Garden: As warmer weather arrives, everyone is eager to get outside and start planting. Meijer expects to sell 15 million annuals at its garden centers as shoppers prepare their gardens and get ready to enjoy the holiday outdoors.
- Candy: Not surprisingly, the Easter bunny loves to fill baskets with candy and sweet treats. Meijer expects to sell more than 1 million Easter bunnies this year, with jelly bean sales expected to hit 160 million – that’s more than 990 miles of jelly beans!
- Grocery: As shoppers prepare their holiday meals, Meijer expects to sell more than 3.5 million pounds of ham. The majority of shoppers, more than 85 percent, celebrating Easter will spend an average of $43.18 to feed their loved ones.
- Toys: Stuffed animals and games continue to be popular in Easter baskets among children of all ages. Through the Meijer “Save the Bunny” campaign, customers can save on favorite gift items from Fisher-Price and Mattel.
- Apparel: Eager for a style refresh, consumers will kick off their winter boots and purchase spring dresses and shoes. Children’s dress sales are expected to rise, along with bright clothing for the whole family.
Meijer is a Grand Rapids, Mich.-based retailer that operates 204 supercenters and grocery stores throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky. As a pioneer of the “one-stop shopping” concept, Meijer stores have evolved through the years to include expanded fresh produce and meat departments, as well as pharmacies, comprehensive electronics departments, garden centers and apparel offerings. Additional information on Meijer and the ability to shop for more can be found at www.meijer.com. Follow Meijer on Twitter @twitter.com/Meijer and @twitter.com/MeijerPR or become a fan at www.facebook.com/meijer.
Contact: Joe Hirschmugl, 616-791-3943, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #