NEW YORK, N.Y., 2016-Nov-02 — /EPR Retail News/ — Whole Foods Market stores in New York City are joining forces with various city parks to celebrate the retailer’s 5% Community Giving Day. On Wednesday, November 2, 5% of the day’s collective net sales from all 10 Whole Foods Market stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn will benefit Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy, Friends of Hudson River Park, Marcus Garvey Park, and a special project on Governors Island. Shoppers making purchases on this day will support each organization’s missions to continue to improve our city parks. Past 5% Days in New York City have raised more than $100,000 for partnering organizations.
- Friends of the Hudson: Proceeds will focus on restoring and reimagining the Chelsea Waterside Play Area at West 23rd Street and 11th Avenue which has been a prime destination for families, students and youth from New York City Housing Authority residents since it was built in 2000. The 5% day contributions to the Chelsea Waterside Play Area capital campaign will help fund renovations including renewing all play equipment, replacing rubber safety surfacing, refurbishing water play features and overhauling site amenities such as umbrellas, tables and benches.
- Marcus Garvey Park: The funds will benefit Marcus Garvey Park’s Youth and Arts, Culture and Fun programming at the park and the Pelham Fritz Recreation Center. These programs include a public theater, fitness classes for people of all ages and abilities, with certain classes designated for people with disabilities and a children’s after-school programming. Proceeds will also help provide healthy and organic snacks to support the kids within the program.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy: The funds will support the Environmental Education Center, a new year-round space designed to house the conservancy’s education program, which serves over 10,000 area school children. The Environmental Education Center is also open to the public on the weekends, and proceeds will continue to help support weekly public open hours.
- Friends of Governors Island: 5% Day proceeds will help support the creation of the Governors Island “Green Zone,” which will advance the island’s goal to create a closed-loop organic cycle. The “Green Zone” will unite existing island-wide sustainability initiatives, including urban farming and composting. The project will also serve as an educational resource for the general public and a hub for volunteer activities.
Proceeds from all 10 Manhattan and Brooklyn locations including Bowery, Chelsea, Columbus Circle, Midtown East, Tribeca, Union Square, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Third & 3rd (BK), and Williamsburg (BK), will be distributed and shared equally amongst the four organizations. To find the Whole Food Market closest to you, see here.
For more information and updates, please follow us on social media:
- New York City – Facebook /WholeFoodsNYC | Instagram & Twitter @wholefoodsnyc
- Brooklyn – Facebook /WholeFoodsBrooklyn | Instagram & Twitter @wfmbrooklyn
Source: Whole Food Market