- Sainsbury’s predicts fizz sales will exceed last year as the nation’s love of sparkling wine hits new heights
London, 2016-Dec-07 — /EPR Retail News/ — Sainsbury’s expects ‘Fizz Friday’, 23rd December, to be the biggest Christmas ever for fizz sales as the nation’s love of sparkling wine hits new heights. In fact, 1 in 4 people said they plan to enjoy a glass of fizz with breakfast on Christmas morning.
- Sainsbury’s declares 23rd December ‘Fizz Friday’ and is predicted to sell over half a million bottles of sparkling wine in one day
- Supermarket launches Christmas Uncorked report unveiling festive drinks trends
The supermarket predicts that Fizz Friday will see sales exceed last year – when customers bought just shy of 600 bottles of sparkling wine per minute – as the nation broadens its fizz tastes. Also the biggest day for food shopping (and home delivery), buyers predict sales on Fizz Friday to be up at least five times that of a ‘normal’ Friday. Among sparkling wine sales, alternatives to Champagne such as Prosecco continue to drive growth, with sales of Prosecco up by a third last Christmas, year on year. In the week before Christmas, sales of the Italian favourite doubled4.
Elizabeth Newman, Head of Beers, Wines and Spirits at Sainsbury’s says: “Our Christmas Uncorked report is a fascinating insight into the nation’s evolving drinks preferences. Our thirst for fizz shows no sign of slowing and we’ve found that Christmas is the time our customers are most likely to spend a little more on that special bottle. With a wider choice of sparkling wine available than ever before, we expect Fizz Friday to be our best yet.”
Sainsbury’s Christmas Uncorked also found that Champagne remains the most popular choice when it comes to gifts – we’re twice as likely to put Champagne under the tree compared to any other sparkling wine.
Over half (58%) of Sainsbury’s sparkling wine magnum sales occur during November and December, as shoppers seek to make an impression.
Festive Fizz Facts
- 1 in 4 people enjoy their first glass of fizz with breakfast on Christmas morning – half of these opting for a Buck’s Fizz by topping up their morning juice.7
- People are happy to spend more on their fizz during the festive season – with over a third (35%) naming sparkling wine as the drink they are most likely to push the boat out on.
- 14% of would-be party-goers still pick Champagne as the drink with which they’d most like to start a party with.
020 7695 7295.